Temporary fix for leaky shower - Need advice!!

Old 08-20-17, 01:59 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary fix for leaky shower - Need advice!!

Hi all! My husband & I bought a house last year, and put an apartment in the basement. We removed a load bearing wall, put in a kitchen, framed, dry-walled etc. By the time we were done, we had no money or time to do the downstairs bathroom, which is original 1950's. We had tenants move in, and they've been there for ~8 months. We noticed the bottom of their shower had started molding, and the laminate flooring outside the shower has started to darken. As a temporary fix, we caulked the bottom of the shower like crazy. The caulking working for a while, but now things are beginning to mold again. To make things worse, it seems the mold is behind some of the caulking we put it, which makes it impossible to clean. We plan to completely gut the bathroom as soon as they move out, but need a temporary fix until then. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that might work better than more caulking?

Thanks so much!

Attached Images    
Old 08-20-17, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,318 Likes on 2,981 Posts
It sounds like there is a good sized leak somewhere behind the shower walls. That leak will constantly cause more problems and I don't see any way to temporarily fixing it with caulk.

Old 08-20-17, 03:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you pick at the caulk and it comes out pretty easily, the the wrong type if caulking was used. Go to a tile shop and tell them of your situation. You need to remove the old and replace with a caulk designed for this situation. Most likely, the leak downstairs is because of improper caulking either at the curb, the door on the curb or in the vertical corners of the shower itself.

Old 08-21-17, 09:01 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting PJmax. We hadn't thought about the leak coming from behind the wall.... Just assumed it was coming from the shower. Crap. Czizzi, we used the right kind of caulk. We'll probably try removing it all & redoing. Hopefully we can make it last for another few months... :/

Old 08-21-17, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,318 Likes on 2,981 Posts
If you remove and re-do the caulk or grout.... everything must be clean or it won't stick well. All the soap scum has to go.

I fell in love with Foaming Kaboom shower cleaner. Spray the entire shower. Close the door to the room. Come back in a half hour to an hour. Rinse the walls. They will be clean like new. This newer version of the product uses bleach so watch for the caustic smells.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: