Custom shower pan/base

Old 10-22-17, 05:29 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Custom shower pan/base

I am getting ready to remodel our shower. I've pulled out everything down to the concrete subfloor and framing for the space. I'm trying to determine what my best options are for the shower pan. The space is not a standard base size (It's 42" x 50"). When I removed the old pan, I found that the pipe came up through the concrete subfloor (expected) via a 12"x12" square hole, where you can actually see the dirt around the pipe (not expected!). So, the question is - do I fill the whole and lay the pan myself, since it's not a standard size? I have no issues with laying the pan and have remodeled bathrooms before, but the hole with the dirt exposed makes me curious. Or, how much does a custom pan typically cost, if I have someone come out, take measurements, and go make it? I've done all the heavy labor and removal, and I'll be installing the backerboard and tile, so they literally need to measure and make a pan.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-17, 03:15 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
Look into the Ditra or Prova shower systems, no backer board, no cement base, 100% watertight.

It's the new technology to tile a shower!

Old 10-23-17, 04:25 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If the position of the drain is acceptable, you would install a new multi-part drain body. Wrap foam around the current pipe and back fil with concrete. I usually drill some holes into the current slab around the hole before I pour to tie the two floors together. Then, lay down 15# felt, do a preslope of bed mud, lay in your pan liner, do a top mudbed layer and then tile. Most slab floors have a dirt box that the pipe come out of for the shower.

Old 12-14-17, 05:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look into the Kerdi system. It looks like a great system. I am starting my bathroom remodel and plan to use it. Lots of you tube videos on it.

skeeter

Old 12-15-17, 03:28 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
I used Ditra, a little cheaper, Was overwhelmed with the process. Cant imagine how it would ever leak!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1513333707

Attached Images