Wall Oven cabinet dimensions

Old 11-21-17, 04:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall Oven cabinet dimensions

Hi

I asked this question on the electrical forum, but I think it pertains more to this forum

I am installing a single wall electrical oven and I bought a huge oven 8' cabinet designed for this purpose.

The oven cabinet is 24” from front to back total, like other standard base cabinets. It is 23 1/8 deep from the inside back wall of the cab to the front of the face frame

On all specs of the ovens that I am looking at, it says "cutout depth" and this ranges from 23 1/2. to 24 inches.

(this is beside the 'exterior depth' which are all 27" and probably includes the depth of the oven handle).

The question is, what is this "cutout depth" for it is clearly more than the cabinet depth.

I thought all the ovens fit into the rough opening and that there is a “lip” on the oven itself, that covers the opening and this lip fits flush with the face-frame of the cabinet.

So, does that mean that

1. I have to pull out the cabinet from the wall (about and inch) and saw out the back of the cabinet, to fit the oven flush against the face of the cabinet?

OR

2. if I leave the cabinet as it, does this mean that the oven will stick out of the cabinet and that there will be a gap between the lip of the oven frame and the cabinet?

I thought that these ovens would fit exactly into a standard 24” base oven cabinet depth-wise and that all I might need to do was cut the height or width of the cab opening to fit the oven. If I have to pull-out the oven cabinet and saw an opening in the back, the cabinet will not be even with the adjacent cabinets.

Thanks

Old 11-21-17, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 850 Votes on 779 Posts
How To Measure For a New Wall Oven - Kitchen - How To Videos and Tips at The Home Depot

Cutout width and height is the size of the opening inside the cabinet. Depth is the distance needed back to the wall. It's possible you may need to cut the back of the cabinet out... but you would probably not need to pull it away from the wall to do that. You also need to make sure your junction box and whip are not in the way.

Old 11-21-17, 04:32 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It doesn't make sense that a cabinet would require that the back be removed. If there were no need for the back, the cabinet would be sold without it. I googled wall oven cabinets & click images. The oven seems to protrude an inch or so on most of the images.

Old 11-21-17, 05:09 PM
I thought that these ovens would fit exactly into a standard 24” base oven cabinet depth-wise
I wish... I've been fighting these things for years.
You can probably keep your face frames flush. Most cabinets have a flimsy back panel (1/8" or 1/4" melamine inserted into a slot/dado at the sides) and it can be cut out flush using a multi-tool.
On most manufactured cabinets I have installed, cutting out the back panel will give you an additional 5/8" to 3/4".

There have been rare times when I needed to add trim around the rough opening and stain to match. The trim is usually only 1/4" thick, like scribe molding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: