Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Which first: reno bathroom or refinish wood floors

Which first: reno bathroom or refinish wood floors

Old 12-14-17, 02:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Which first: reno bathroom or refinish wood floors

Hi Everyone-

I have a small studio apartment in NYC, which I am currently not living in. I'm facing two major projects and am wondering which one makes sense to tackle first:
- Partial bathroom reno. Replacing damaged subfloor under leaking tub that has already been removed. Installing new tub, replacing any tiles that are damaged during this and installing a new wall-hung sink.
OR...
- Sand and refinish approx.300 sq. feet of hardwood floors. They were covered by laminate floors which I've removed, but there is heavy glue from old previous tiles that needs to be sanded away.I'll be choosing a durable matte or satin finish, nothing glossy.

My Dad had advised me to tackle the bathroom project first. He was my "go-to" guy, but passed away a few months ago. I'm wondering if I get the floors done first, then I can at least start moving some boxes and furniture back into a corner of the apartment while the bathroom is being done. What do you all think? Any opinions which project makes sense to do first? Much appreciated....

Old 12-14-17, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Normally I would say do the room first. but bathroom is small and lot in the way. Do floors first but will have to careful with rest of remodel to not damage floor. If everything is out you might paint first.

Old 12-14-17, 04:35 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Do you own this building?
No way would I be painting floors in a home!!!

Old 12-14-17, 05:10 PM
T
joecaption -
Yes this is an apartment I own. I am not painting the floors, I am refinishing them (hardwoods).

Old 12-14-17, 05:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Demo and rebuild first then make your hardwood look nice. That way no damage to the hardwood from the in and out of a remodel.

Sorry for the loss of your father.

Old 12-14-17, 05:25 PM
T
Thanks czizzi-
Most of the necessary demo is done in the bathroom. Maybe I should just go ahead and order the tub, sink, etc. and leave the floors till after the bathroom is done. I appreciate the advice.

Trish M.

Old 12-14-17, 07:30 PM
I would also do the bath first. Try to coordinate with the contractors so that immediately after the bath is done to your satisfaction the floors can be sanded.
You are killing two birds with one stone, letting the caulk and grout cure in the bath and waiting to go back into the house after the floor has dried.

Inspect for leaks under the sink after bath job is done and it's time to sign, you will not offend a pro in most cases.

Old 12-15-17, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I also agree with doing the bath first, floors should always be one of the last things done.

Old 12-15-17, 07:50 AM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
IMO wood floor refinishing should be left for last.

Joe - Painted floors are not that uncommon and can be a very attractive alternative to a stain and poly finish. I grew up in an 1840's farmhouse that had painted floors in several rooms. They were pretty awesome - and authentic.

Old 12-15-17, 01:31 PM
T
Looks like the overwhelming opinion is to get the bathroom done first, and the floors second. Thanks for the input, everyone! My apartment is street-level, so that'll make it easy for the tub delivery guys, haha. I've had a brand-new toilet sitting in a corner of the living room for almost a year now. It will be nice to get the project rolling. Thanks, again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: