Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Code or best practice for height of electrical outlets above counter?

Old 01-15-18, 08:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

What is standard height (code or best practice) for electrical outlets above a counter?

This is for a combined large kitchen and laundry room. On one wall (the kitchen wall) there is a long kitchen counter at a height of about 36" from the floor. On the opposite wall (the laundry wall) there is a standard front loading washing machine and dryer. The size of those front loading laundry machines meant that the counter height had to be placed at about 41 1/2" from the floor.

I have placed all electrical outlets at about 43" from the floor. All the electrical outlets above the kitchen counter appear normal and at a good height from the counter. However, because the laundry counter is much higher off the ground than the kitchen counter, the electrical outlets above the laundry counter seem way to low. I measured and there is only about 1 1/2" of space between the top of the laundry counter to the bottom of the counter-top electrical outlet.

Is the 1 1/2" gap above the counter between the laundry counter and electrical outlet sufficient? Or do the electrical outlets need to be raised?

Old 01-15-18, 10:02 AM
I would place the bottom of the laundry receptacles at 48-1/2". That will place them at the same height above the laundry counter as the kitchen counter.
You could keep the receptacles at 1-1/2" above the counter if you never intend to install a 4" splash. I think it would look better to raise them either way.

Old 01-20-18, 09:42 PM
T
Thanks Handyone. I’ve done the math and doubl-checked a few times. You are absolutely correct. Since my laundry counter is about 5-1/2” higher than my kitchen counter, then to make my laundry counter outlets appear to be the same height above the laundry counter, then my laundry electrical outlets should also be 5-1/2” higher than my kitchen counter outlets. And since my kitchen counter outlets are about 43” from the floor, your advice that my laundry electrical outlets should be 5-1/2” higher at about 48-1/2” from floor sounds right.

One minor problem though. I have roughed in all my electrical switches in the house to be at about 47” from the floor. Isn’t it weird to have my laundry counter electrical outlets and laundry under-cabinet switch to be higher (48-1/2” from floor) and the all other electrical outlet switch boxes (47” from floor)? What I mean is... would I look odd if my laundry outlets and undercab switch is higher than all my room switches through the house?

Old 01-20-18, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned, you could place the receptacles at 47" if desired.
The goal is to get them higher than 1-1/2" off the counter, and even that is not really critical. You're just shooting for a better look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: