Updating shower stall

Old 01-28-18, 02:45 PM
K
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Updating shower stall

Hi
Our downstairs bathroom has a tiled shower stall/stand up shower that I plan to update.
The current shower is tiled , rectangular shape with shower curtain, tiled floor (concrete under tile since it is in basement)

My plan is to change it to a corner shower .

For both options, I will need to demo and remove one side of the shower

Options are --
1) leave tiled back as is , install a corner glass door

2) Install a complete new fiberglass corner shower unit.

I am inclined to option 1 to make it simpler and quicker. Will also replace the shower head etc to make it look nicer

I will demo one side completely but I think I will need to demo more than that -- the complete outer structure , right ? Will keep the back walls as is
I understand, I will need to extend the drain line to new position . That is fine

How do I go about framing for the new corner shower door ?
Do I Demo the bottom part completely and build a frame ?
should it be a concrete frame or wood frame ?

Attached some pics of existign shower . Any help will be greatly apreciated . Planning to start work asap so that I can complete by spring (yes, I am slow and hardly get an hour or 2 a day)

Experience level -- repaired brick and stone stairs (replaced all brick and granite) , replaced floor tiles , minor repairs including replacing faucet etc.

Attached Images        
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-18, 05:53 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It ALL comes out, not just part of it. One of the needs of a shower is to have a shower pan that makes the whole thing waterproof and shed water successfully toward a drain. Removing part of the shower will compromise the water tightness of the current shower. To build what you want, this is a complete demo, gut and rebuild. Please do a little more research before beginning your project.

Old 01-28-18, 09:32 PM
Received 374 Votes on 349 Posts
I understand, I will need to extend the drain line to new position . That is fine
First item to consider, drain pipes are in the floor, unless your going to bust all that concrete out the locations will need to stay the same.

Old 01-29-18, 07:00 PM
K
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
It ALL comes out, not just part of it. One of the needs of a shower is to have a shower pan that makes the whole thing waterproof and shed water successfully toward a drain. Removing part of the shower will compromise the water tightness of the current shower. To build what you want, this is a complete demo, gut and rebuild. Please do a little more research before beginning your project.
It is not a unit per se. It is custom tiled bath -- tile on wall and tile on floor. There are no fiberglass . There is no shower pan as well. The drainage is directly through concrete. I am OK cutting the concrete to extend the drain -- it need to be extended by a foot or so

Old 01-30-18, 03:42 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Not sure you understood my statements. Located UNDERNEATH your tile is a membrane that helps keep water inside the shower and channels water to the drain body. Without this membrane, water will seep out into the other rooms adjacent to the shower. Therefore, this membrane needs to be incorporated back into your revised design to keep things water tight.

Depending on the age of your home, the membrane is either made of PVC or in many older homes, it is made of lead. Here is a picture of the final stages of demolition of a bathroom I remodeled showing the large lead pan still attached to the drain body just before removal.

Attached Images