liquid nails is not drying :(

Old 02-16-18, 10:48 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
liquid nails is not drying :(

Hello All
I am trying to put up a 5 piece asb tub surround, using liquid nails tub surround and shower wall adhesive against drywall.

I started this project a little over a week ago, fallowed the manufactures directions and made sure everything was level and fit right before gluing, then I glued it down, bracing the corner panels along the bottom as these didn't seem to want to stay down all that well. I waited 48 hours and removed the braces, the corners seemed to be in place so I caulked everything and waited another 48 hours..

With the first shower? the corner that was closest to the faucet and along the tub pulled up, the back panel that runs down the edge of the tub bubbled out and pulled away from the wall, and part of the seam where the two panels over lapped half way up the wall along the back panel lifted...

I dried everything up and when the shower wall cooled? the back panel seemed to lay flat again only now it doesn't lay as flat, i pressed the seam back down and rebraced the corner waited two days and when I removed the brace? the corner again lifted and the glue underneath was wet. so i wiped everything out, cleaned up all the old glue, let it dry for three days and reglued with a new tube of liquid nails, braced the corner panel again, waited 4 days but when i removed the brace? the glue was still wet and the corner lifted again. some blue did seep out of the seam when i braced and that glue did dry but was easily cleaned up with a light scraping of my fingernail and a wet paper towel. the corner is braced again, more glue is seeping out from the glue from 4 days ago and I have no idea what I should do now.

This is the second surround I have put up and the first one went really well with no troubles, used the same glue, same drywall, but a different surround so i am unsure if it is the surround itself that is incompatible with the glue or if something i am doing is wrong or if the glue is not doing what it is suppose too... also, where the panels overlap and the glue did dry? the panels are easily pulled apart, they just lift right up without any real effort and that glue has been on from the first go round.

any advice would be greatly appreciated please and thank you

Old 02-16-18, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,329 Upvotes on 2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not the pro in this forum but did you use Liquid Nails Tub Surround & Shower Wall Adhesive ? I've had times where Liquid Nails hasn't dried properly.

I use Loctite's Power Grab Tub Surround Construction Adhesive and have had great results.

The others will stop by later to add their opinions.

Old 02-17-18, 12:22 AM
M
Hello Pete
Thank you for the welcome and advice

Yes, I did use the Liquid Nails Tub Surround & Shower Wall Adhesive both times, I will go in and look for some Loctite's Power Grab Tub Surround Construction Adhesive. I just went in and checked how things were going and took off a little of the glue that was dry from what seeped out at noon today, it has been over twelve hours and still wet glue is seeping from the spot I just removed the dry glue from

Old 02-17-18, 03:48 AM
T
Received 86 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Liquid Nails Tech Data Sheet says Tub Surround dries in 24 hours.

Old 02-17-18, 06:29 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How was the drywall prepared in advance of the surround being installed?

Old 02-17-18, 01:15 PM
M
Thank you for your response

it has now been five days, just checked and went to clean up some of the beaded fairly dry glue that seeped out last night and more glue is still seeping out. I check the expiration date and it says the glue is good until November 2018. so not sure what is going on.

Old 02-17-18, 01:28 PM
M
czizzi

The drywall was cleaned three days prior to the gluing of the surround with water and very very light soap, two drops in a half gallon of water. more to get the dust off, and i had a fan going in the bathroom for the three days before I glued everything to ensure everything was dry. I did not prime or paint before gluing as I was told that was not needed. when I placed the bead of glue onto the panels? it was a quarter inch bead, down the edges a half inch from each edge then I used a square pattern down the main part of the panel making 9 inch squares. the panel behind the faucet and opposite end of the faucet are both down and not bubbling but the back panel that runs down the edge of the tub is no longer firmly against the wall, and the corner panel furthest away from the faucet seems to be down solid but where the panels overlap? that pulls up easily from the first round of glue over a week ago.

Old 02-17-18, 02:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The following is from the installation instructions on the liquid nails website. My emphasis added:

"It is important for proper installation that each panel be vented according to the following directions. Venting method: Apply LN-715 adhesive and press panel firmly to wall, then pull away. Wait 3-5 minutes, then press panel firmly back into place. For proper adhesion, after 20-30 minutes go around entire tub surround and press firmly over all flat surfaces. If any edges lift up, tape them to the wall with masking tape until adhesive dries. Let cure 24 hours. "

It would appear that the venting of the panels will allow for some off gassing of material and possibly allow it to activate the cure process. Failure to do this is the same as keeping the lid on the tube of adhesive, as you stated, it will remain viable until Nov. 2018. Give venting a try and get back with us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: