Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Spackle, thin set of other for patching before tiling?

Old 02-18-18, 08:15 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am preparing to do a file backslash, but I need to fill some holes in drywall before doing so. Would I be better served to use thin set, so that it is not effected by water, should there ever be a water issue, or should I use spackle as usual? Is there a third option? Cure type spackle, maybe?

Old 02-18-18, 09:14 PM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?
We have no idea how big these holes are.
Spackle is only for tiny holes like old nail holes.
Drywall compound is used for larger repairs.
Thin set is not waterproof.

Old 02-18-18, 10:48 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I haven't patched the home yet, so a picture could be misleading. I have attached one anyway. I am going to put drywall up to fill the hole, but I believe the seams still need to be dealt with. For some reason, I thought thin set was better against water. I was thinking of just using thin set to fill the seams, instead of spackle. Good thing I asked, I guess. Not sure there would be any benefit, though if it is not water proof. What about using compound instead of spackle, though? I've never worked with it before. Always removed enough drywall to put a piece on them taped and spackled. I would imagine that since it cures instead of doing, it might be somewhat better against water. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do something stupid and wind up regretting it on a few years.

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-18, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The small amount of water that hits a backsplash makes it a non issue. Just seal the grout and there won't BE any water penetration. It's caulked where it meets the counter, so even standing puddles won't be a problem.

Finish the seams as you usually do since that's what you're comfortable with. I know you are supposed to use joint compound, but I've done my patches and repairs as you do and never had an issue. It would be different if I was doing a whole room.

Old 02-19-18, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Some folks call joint compound spackle so that might be the case here. Either regular water soluble j/c or a setting compound will work fine. As Vic said it's not really a wet area so and it won't get wet enough for it to be a concern.

Old 02-19-18, 10:16 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Actually, if you fill in the gap with drywall using glue and screws, the area behind the tile doesn't need anything.

The thin set will fill in any voids. You can put some mesh across the joint if you really want to be good.

Assuming the upper area will be drywall/paint, that will need to be finished with compound!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: