Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What to do about negative space in the corner underneath the countertop?

Old 02-18-18, 10:24 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have removed the counter top as part of a larger rodent problem and I inspected the block of cabiinet space in that corner which is unreachable--except by rodents. There is an inch space to the next cabinet A steel clubhouse for rodents impregnible to the modern man. Until now. No, there wewre no menento moris so far.
But isn't there some alternative to leaving this space blank?
I wish I could post some first shots of my negative spaoe dis-enthombed..

Attached Images   
Old 02-19-18, 03:21 AM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is this area large enough to install a Lazy Susan ?

Old 02-19-18, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
At the minimum I seal any openings into the space with metal. Aluminum trim stock like used for vinyl siding works well as does aluminum roof flashing. You can also stuff any openings with steel wool. Mice will chew a new entrance hole through wood but they don't like chewing on metal.

Old 02-19-18, 08:00 AM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
Does your corner space share an interior wall of another room? A cabinet door with access from that other room could utilize some of that space.

Visit a kitchen center and see some of the corner cabinet options, they have many.

Bud

Old 02-19-18, 01:10 PM
R
The space faces the wet wall of the shower in the bathroom. The other side, exterior wall backing to shelves in mudroom. I think the metal idea is good, although the rodents did not actually make any holes in that wall, insatead coming through the typical gaps around the pipes. Notice tha large hole leading to the toe space. I had always wondered why spider webs developed down there. Now I know. So I will seal that up with metal (apparently a plate is missing and back the wall with cement backer board. I am putting a piece closing fitting the pipes under the sink too.
Before I do that I will cut out a section of drywall and pour loose concrete down there. This will seal up the gaps where the devils are getting in to the wall in the first place.
But before I do all that I would like t0o remove the cabinets and replace the drywall behind the cabinets, since there ma always be a whol at the bottom which I cannot see.
I have thoughty that the negative space could be used to house a tankless water heater but access to it would require removing the countertop,

Old 02-19-18, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
I used to live where there was a small water heater in that corner/void but there was an access door in the next room.

Old 02-19-18, 08:50 PM
R
That is a great use for it, Marks. I just took some measurements and contrary to what I thought, the other side is outside on the building. I have been planning to replace a few defective T-11s in that area, Evebntually. Not right now. But the negative space will be there for me . If I take careful measurments now , that will be enough.
I am thinking tankless, but that would require an electrician to power it. Might save $10 a month I bet.

Old 02-19-18, 09:40 PM
R
In the meantime I have taken out the cabinets in order to replace the drywall, right wrongs (loose pipes >crumbling plaster> holes, )

Old 02-20-18, 03:54 AM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maybe you could access it from the inside of the adjoining cabinet; it could be a good place for a hidden safe..

Old 02-20-18, 04:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd rather open up the sides of the adjoining cabinets and use it for storage - for the stuff you don't use regularly. You;d floor that cabinet extension the same height as the rest of the cabinets.
The problem with having a water heater there with outside access is sealing up the door adequately.

Old 02-20-18, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
If rodents are coming in through gaps around pipes. There are escutcheon trim rings just for the job or you can cut them from tin can lids and hold them in place with some caulking. Or, pack the gap around pipes with steel wool.

I would NOT install a water heater in a blocked off corner. Water heaters occasionally need access plus in addition to having electrical run to the area you would have to have your house's plumbing altered as well.

Old 02-21-18, 09:46 PM
R
Right. I could cut out an access door of varying sophistication. I doubt it would compromise the strength of the counter in case a fat guy sat on it. But actually I could just as easily do the cutting in situ if I removed the drain pipes. I don't want to go cutting it up prematurely. I will probably not use the space. What would be nice would be a right & proper door and rolled edges. But I can't consider any special costs.

Last edited by richard123vmt; 02-21-18 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:04 PM
R
Funny thing was that there was no rat scat in the negative space. Any now I have found another issue, there is no stud behind the corner of the room on one side. This leaves the edge unprotected from rodent teeth. So I had to install a stud in the wall cutting through the sheetrock with my oscillating tool. PIcutre is on its side. Mouse is petrified.

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-18, 04:48 PM
R
Very slow going, there was still a gap between corner studs which II filled with strips of wood, slow fitting process. But it is done and now I have a decent corner wall. I have at least a month to complete whole project. Next step: wire brush and paint the cabinets. (I have some POR-15 to treat the minor rust. ) Still not certain about finishing the walll but I want to get the cabinets done and out of the rain (if any).

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-18, 06:57 PM
R
I found in the adjacent wall the toilet sewer pipe also with huge gaps. I had eariler poured liquid cent into the wall to seal a smaller pipe on the left and the stuff really did fully encircle and seal the pipe.
That metal around the sink pipes is my rodent guard, formidable. I only cut off the lower 24" so that one sheet of drywall will handle the whole repair. I am going to use some great stuff behind the plate so that I don't end up with a cold spot at the sink.

Attached Images   
Old 03-04-18, 03:52 PM
R
Now I m about ready to reinstall the cabinets. First I want to prime the new plaster to make it strong..

Attached Images   
Old 03-04-18, 03:59 PM
R
countertop source

I have run into a snag with my project since I was planning to order the new countertop from HD sup-ply, advertised here. It is just what I want but unfortunately they do not deliver to where I am. Home Depot is nuts about the Valencia edge which I find disgusting especially i a kitchen. It looks like Lowe's will be my answer but very limited selection for a plain edge.

Old 03-05-18, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out some counter top shops, it might not cost as much as you'd think. They can make the exact size/style you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: