Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Interference with Frig door and countertop - need some options...

Old 03-06-18, 03:41 PM

We recently remodeled our kitchen and, as you can see in the pics, we have an interference challenge between the refrigerator door and the countertop. The frig door will not completely open and will at some point develop a dent where it hits the countertop.

So we've thought of few options...

...cutting the countertop back to allow the door to open a bit more,

...pulling the frig out away from the wall - we really don't like this idea...

You guys have any other ideas? Is there a way to adjust the hinges on the frig door so it only opens to a specific point? It's a KitchenAid if that matters.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-18, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Pull your refrigerator out from the wall a couple inches. The back of the door should not be behind the front edge of the counter. It's a poor design for the countertop to stick that far out on the right side. Only other option is to glue a bumper onto the countertop. There is no hinge adjustment.

Old 03-06-18, 04:04 PM
Yeah, we thought about that, but really don't want to do that. It's a small kitchen and inches matter. It also would just look weird.

Old 03-06-18, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
How about reversing the hinges and have the door(s) open in the other direction ?

There are no end stops on the hinges.

Old 03-06-18, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
I imagine it's a side by side refrigerator.

Old 03-06-18, 05:42 PM
It's a french door frig. We have it balanced/leveled so the right door does not hold itself open, it actually closes on it's own, so that it will not bang against the corner of the counter. Which is a pain because we have to hold the door open when getting stuff out of the frig. We'd like to get it to a point where the door will hold open, but not slam against the counter.

Old 03-06-18, 08:09 PM
Your only solution is to have the counter top trimmed. Not such a bad thing. It might cost about $100 to $200. But it's worth it. I had a similar issue. refrigerators are becoming bigger and you'll need the space anyways.

As XSleeper says, it should be flush with the cabinet since it's meant for a refrigerator location anyway.

Old 03-07-18, 02:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would pull out the fridge a little like X posted. The hinge point needs to be a little past the front edge of the counter.
I don't think you have any room to trim or round off the counter.

I'm curious why the right side counter is so deep, it looks to be about 30" deep or more instead of a standard counter depth of ~25-3/4"

Old 03-07-18, 08:50 AM
I'd strongly suggest pulling the fridge out, to see if it "grows" on you. It would be the easiest cheapest solution.
Perhaps the person who designed the remodel would have an answer/suggestion to address what seems to be a design flaw?

One other, somewhat weird, idea: can you raise the fridge the few inches needed for the door to clear the counter top? Perhaps a platform? Of course, if you have cabinets above the fridge, that would be another problem. Additionally, you'd need to be able to pull the fridge out for service, etc. ( a ramp to the platform???)
(I did see this in a friend's house, but IMO it was too cumbersome to be a great solution.)

Old 03-07-18, 09:45 AM
Your only solution is to have the counter top trimmed.

There really is no trim available, that door probably swings 150 ish degrees meaning if you dont want contact you will have to take a big chunk out of the corner.

Leave as is and you will soon have a huge dent in the door.

You have to move it out!

Old 03-07-18, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. It IS a flaw in the design that we are trying to work around.

Mikedel, we actually did think of raising the frig so the door would clear the counter - good idea, but for all the reasons you stated it just isn't workable.

I was really hoping someone would know of a way to limit the swing of the door by adjusting the hinge. I've looked at it and i sure can't see any way for adjustment.

We'll probably pull it out and see if that works.