Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to install a kitchen exhaust vent to outside?

Old 04-07-18, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to install a range hood over our stove; however, I need the exhaust to go outside. My questions are:
  1. Is the space above my cabinet hollow? Can I use this space to install the exhaust pipe?
  2. What type of exhaust pipe is recommended for this type of situation?
  3. Normally, it's best to drill a hole from the inside to outside of the house so you know where to cut from the outside to install the exhaust pipe. However, in this case it'll be hard since the opening is right above the stove. So, how would I cut the hole from outside that would match the hollow space inside above the cabinet?
  4. What is the best tool for cutting the siding outside?
  5. How do seal the outside around the exhaust vent so that water do not get in?
This is what I have currently.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-18, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
1. Possibly. The only way to know for sure is to peak inside but most of them are hollow. There is a chance that there is wiring or drain plumbing from upstairs but the odds are that it's mostly empty.

2. You must use rigid, galvanized steel. Aluminum and flexible plastic not permitted by code.

3. It depends on where and what you are drilling. Often I start from what is known. If you know your duct will be right here inside your chase then I'd drill through the outer wall with a long 1/8" or other small bit. Then go outside and see where it came out to make sure there are no issues.

4. You didn't say what your outside siding is so we can't advise the best way to cut it.

5. That depends on what your outside siding is. Most exterior vents have some type of flashing and you can use caulk.

Old 04-07-18, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
That looks like some type of alcove off the wall. Can't quite see it.
Can you post a another picture zoomed out further with no line drawn ?

That is not going to be an easy job without access into that box.

Old 04-08-18, 07:29 AM
Here's the pic without the line drawn. What are the standard holes size to drill? I saw some youtube video show 7" and some say 6" diameter hole. I want to make sure it's a standard size so when I purchase the range hood, it fits.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Charlie2; 04-08-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 07:05 PM
Another thing I wanted to do is remove the cabinet above the microwave and install the range hood right underneath this hollow space. My worry/question is, how am I going to secure the range hood if I remove the cabinet? I believed they secure the microwave to the cabinet above but if I remove it, I'm afraid it'll be hard to secure the range up there. Any suggestion is much appreciated on this issue as well.

Old 04-27-18, 04:38 PM
So, this is what it looks like right above the range hood for the 8" hole to be drilled. So, how do I go about drilling the 8" hole since this pvc pipe is right above the hole and the joist is also in the way?

Attached Images