Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Master Bathroom (12' X 11' ) Reno - Is 5 piece possible?

Old 05-06-18, 11:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My family is debating moving to a new house but the master bathroom is quite a bit smaller (12' X 11') than my current recently renovated bathroom which is preventing us from moving forward. We are willing to accept compromises given the smaller size. I'll admit that I am very bad at spacial thinking but we are hoping to update this bathroom to be similar to my current bathroom which includes an approx 77" x 38" shower, toilet, dual 33" sinks, and a 69" x 32" soaker tub.

I've attached the plans of my current bathroom for reference and 2 relevant pictures of the new bathroom. To the left of the bathroom is the master closet and a guest bathroom is to the right so I cannot add square footage. I'll try to explain the current layout:

The bathroom door is on the left-side of the room near the master closet with a single vanity directly to the right of the door and a jacuzzi tub centered on the backwall under a window and skylight. On the opposite side of the room (RIGHT) is an opening to a small room that has a toilet on the exterior wall, baseboard heating on the wall against guest bathroom, and a shower on the interior wall same side as the single vanity.

I am not sure what is possible but I am hoping to put keep a similar foot print but remove the wall to the smaller room which should gain 6" or so and will open the space. Then, replace the big jacuzzi tub with a 69" X 32" soaker and keep the toilet or turn it inwards. Replace the single vanity with a 60" dual vanity. Then, expand the shower as much as possible (6" gained from wall removal) and move the shower towards the toilet as much as possible. Aside from "will this work?", I have to either shrink or relocated the baseboard heating to make room for the expanded shower. My wife thinks it is an eye sore to put behind the soaker tub where there is available real estate. I have no idea if any of this is possible so hopefully someone can help.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-18, 09:47 AM
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
Consider underfloor HW radiant heat using PEX tubing. If the only exterior wall is the one behind the tub you may get enough heat from the radiant to eliminate the baseboard. (Do a heat loss calculation.) And it feels great on bare feet on cold mornings.

Old 05-07-18, 11:06 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes - 1 exterior wall. Is it possible to have baseboard heating that wraps around a corner such as where a toilet would be near the corner?