1/2 bath to full bath help....what to do?

Old 06-20-18, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
1/2 bath to full bath help....what to do?

I would like to convert a half bath to a 3/4 bath or full bath. I will need to take out a wall that separates the bathroom from a closet...utilized by two separate doors seen in the last picture. The floor is concrete slab. Ceiling in the bathroom has drop down ceiling because when they remodeled the upstairs bathroom they used the ceiling as an access panel. Kinda convenient but not sure what to do for the rest of the ceiling? Will the shower steam cause problems for the drop down ceiling?

So I was planning a stand up shower...but the size of the room should accommodate a tub/surround type shower. Problem is I won't have an access panel. The wall that has the toilet and sink installed now is the basement wall. Which only 4 ft roughly from the floor up the wall is access to the basement. Can I install a tub/surround without an access panel? If so, how? Second thought is, in the last pic, instead of taking the closet door out and drywalling, could I use the door as an access panel? But then I believe I will run into a drainage issue putting the drain and water lines on the opposite wall than the basement wall so I don't believe this is do-able.

Plumbing will be hard because I won't be able to put a trap in until I get the drain pipe through the concrete block wall and into the basement. Plumbing is not my strong suit so I may just hire someone for the tub or shower install and plumbing for this.

Side note....the joists above the wall run as if that wall I want to take out would be load bearing....but the next wall over is only 33inches? So the more I look into this I don't know if it's possible....

Also I would be installing an exhaust fan to vent through the outside wall.

Your help and opinions/facts are greatly appreciated!!

Attached Images     
Old 06-20-18, 02:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First thing is you need to come up with approved plans that address the removal of the load bearing wall. That will be done at the permit office. Once you have that obstacle past, you can come up with a design of the bathroom that works with the space provided. So, begin a discussion with local folks that can make the space viable for a bathroom expansion and then we may be of some assistance.

Old 06-20-18, 06:11 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yea I’m gonna have a friend of mine swing in. If it truly is load bearing I may not even bother. Will see I guess. Also if I can’t do atleast the majority of the work I’m not gonna break my budget. Lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: