Kid proof bath reno

Old 06-22-18, 07:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kid proof bath reno

Hello,

We are shortly going to renovate our kid's bathroom. I have 3 boys that use it so it needs to be very easy to keep clean. Unfortunately, it's also very small.

Any suggestions on finishes that would hold up well and also be very easy to keep clean? I'd love to be able to simply hose it down though.. i know that's really not an option.

Thank you
Scott

Old 06-22-18, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Maybe have both a tile floor and tile wainscotting.

Old 06-22-18, 10:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Actually having 2 boys and tile bathrooms I would vote to eliminate anything with grout and have a solid floor/walls so that everything can be disinfected easily.

Old 06-22-18, 10:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
What's the budget? I've seen shows on TV where they use solid surface materials like quartz on the floors and walls along with proper sloping of the floors to drains and you literally can then hose them out.

Old 06-23-18, 01:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
I'm not a huge fan of grout lines they tend to be hard to keep clean... we have a decent budget as we need to tear out the tub and subfloor anyway. It's been in place 20+ years and we have some soft spots in the floor.

it's a pretty small room so we won't' have a ton of any finish that we have.

Old 06-23-18, 02:36 PM
A
I have a friend that has 3 boys and they installed a urinal. I thought it was brilliant.

Old 06-23-18, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hosing it down is absolutely an option. Heat welded rolled rubber floor and walls. Used it in 16 bathrooms in a barracks I ran. Only cost us $25K to have a certified tech install it all. Of course that was 20+ years ago and we only did the shower stalls.

Seriously...the manmade quartz is a viable option. Doesn't have to be countertop thickness and can be custom cut, epoxied seams. Unfortunately, believe it has to be Pro installed for walls and floors. You could save a lot by using a one piece FG shower/tub.

If you want to go cheap...FRP is always an option as well. They won't always be young hellions or living at home. Cheap and simple to install, easy to ripout for real reno later on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: