Appliance Layout - Fridge and Double Wall Oven?

Old 07-29-18, 09:16 PM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Appliance Layout - Fridge and Double Wall Oven?

We are renovating our kitchen, and we're playing around with some appliance layout issues.

What is the general consensus on whether a refrigerator and a double wall oven can and/or should go next to each other? Good idea, bad idea?

If we do put them next to each other, should they be flush with each other when closed, or be flush when an oven door is open, or never flush, etc.?

Also, the oven would probably open up so that the person standing in front of it would be right next to the non-moving pane of our glass sliders to the backyard (the moving pane would not be blocked). That is, the person would have the non-moving pane within a few inches of his/her left arm. Should we instead put a small landing (cabinet/counter) to put maybe 1 foot of space between the sliders and the non-moving pane? (It is probably possible to push the oven back far enough so that the person may be offset from the glass sliders by a few inches, although doing so would mess up some ideas for the room on the other side of the fridge/oven.)

All insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-18, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 678 Posts
It's very hard to help designing this way. A few pictures of the setup would be helpful.
How-to-insert-pictures

I've never seen a wall oven and a fridge tight against each other.
Might not be the best idea as one is creating heat and one is trying to get rid of heat.

Old 07-30-18, 07:10 PM
O
Hi PJ,

A copy of the floorplan I created using a free program (although we are working with a professional architect) is below. Hopefully its large enough to view. I took all the measurements for the inserted floorplan, so everything in the floorplan should be close to accurate (although I'm sure I'm off by an inch or two here-and-there...that's why we have an architect!).

The wall on which the oven and fridge (and "sliding french doors to another room") are located is being built, so we can push it back (i.e., to the right in the layout) a bit in order to put more space between the oven and sliders. But that would mess up what we are planning on doing in the "another room." Not terribly, but we'd rather not mess it up if there is no real need.

Also, I've seen several instances online where the fridge and ovens are next to each other (well, with an inch or two of cabinetry between them), and both our kitchen designer and architect say its ok. But I'm also looking for "outside" opinions.

Also, to my way of thinking, the outside of ovens are not very hot, so I'm not sure how much that would affect the fridge as long as each has enough air clearance as required by their respective specs. Also, see https://www.subzero-wolf.com/assista...-to-each-other . While we don't have those brands, I'm guessing their following statement would apply generally to decent-quality level products: "All products are independently insulated and tested and can be installed next to each other without problem as long as minimum trim clearances, hinge swing detail, panel thicknesses and handle interferences are accounted for in the application installation."

Thanks again!

Name:  kf_1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  27.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-30-18 at 07:32 PM. Reason: enlarged/relabeled diagram
Old 07-30-18, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 678 Posts
Is that brown thing in the middle an island ? Couldn't read it.

Old 07-30-18, 07:41 PM
O
Sorry, yes. Its about 7.5' x 3' in that picture. About 3' 6" from the island to the peninsula, about 3' 10" between the island and the cooktop. The sliders to the outside are approximately 5' in total width (i.e., each pane is approximately 2.5'). The pantry is about 5' wide and 2' deep.

Thanks again.

Old 07-31-18, 07:39 AM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My personal experience is that depending on the type of fridge, opening the door can interfere with whatever is on either side. In your case, if you have a side-by-side or french door fridge, the left door may hit the oven even if the oven door is closed but certainly if the oven door is open. Remember that fridge doors open well past 90 degrees.

As for the oven, I would always prefer to have a landing space on at least one side. When you take something out of the oven, if you have a pot on the stove, you don't want to have to walk across the room to put it down. Same goes for loading the oven. In your case, I can see leaving the oven in that general area but adding a cabinet/counter next to it and then relocating the fridge. But I don't see a great alternate location for the fridge so maybe leaving the fridge and then moving the oven to the island would be better.

- Peter