full wall glass shower enclosure considerations

Old 08-30-18, 11:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question full wall glass shower enclosure considerations

Hey guys, I am building a new custom house and have some questions on what you need to ensure you do from a construction standpoint to have floor to ceiling glass walls for the shower.

I would really like to have the glass wall go all the way to the ceiling and am trying to understand what are some of the major considerations I need to take into account in order to pull this off.

A few things that make it tricky in my mind are my ceilings are 10'. So that is a lot of glass and support etc.

Other than having a tile backsplash of some sort go all the way up the walls and I'm assuming ceiling what else needs to be done to properly pull this off?

Thank you

Old 08-30-18, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The floor joists and ceiling joists should have blocking between them, assuming the glass falls between joists. I would recommend you go talk to some local city glass retailers. They will be the ones doing the work in all likelihood so ask them what they require. They will likely have ways of dividing those walls up... with pivoting transoms on top, for example, to keep the glass sizes reasonable and to give you steam ventilation.

Old 08-30-18, 01:11 PM
G
Thanks, what about the steam, are there any special considerations that need to be done to the upper wall/ceiling areas to protect it from the steam?

Old 08-30-18, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
If the ceiling will not be tiled.... or covered with Corian or Onyx, use mold resistant drywall then use a paint with mold resistant additives.

Besides paint, another product I have used recently is Sherwin Williams water based epoxy paint. Best wall paint ever!

Old 08-30-18, 03:25 PM
G
Thanks, I've heard from people that often their builders or contractors will push back on having the glass go all the way to the ceiling. Any idea why they would do that?

Old 08-30-18, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Steam needs to escape. And its easier to stay away from the ceiling because then the measurements don't need to be precise. Easier to fit and install. That's why I mentioned the pivot transom on top if you want it tall.

Old 08-30-18, 05:04 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The thing you will soon learn to hate is the dirty glass, had it, hated it, now my full tile walk in shower is the only thing I would ever have in any future home!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: