Bathroom Vanity Replacement Project

Old 09-11-18, 12:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Vanity Replacement Project

So in addition to the million other things to work on before baby arrives, the wife and I decided to replace the guest bathroom vanity and repaint to a more modern color.

Before we get too far along, I had a couple questions to make sure we are on the right path (I've attached a couple pictures for reference):

- Would a normal freestanding vanity from Home Depot or Lowes work? I wasn't sure considering how the current one is caulked to the wall.

- What's the best way of removing the current vanity without damaging the wall? Just cut the caulk using a razor blade?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-18, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 439 Votes on 401 Posts
Your sink and countertop will have to come out along with the vanity. You will need to cut the caulk along the wall, along with the caulk around the countertop, and it may be very difficult to yank out. It's also possible that your backsplash could be damaged in the process. And there is no guarantee that the new vanity will fit perfectly so that the countertop will just slip back in.

Old 09-11-18, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 748 Votes on 703 Posts
Getting it out is only a minor problem.
Getting the new vanity shimmed to be even with the tile backsplash will be a real challenge.

Old 09-11-18, 01:51 PM
P
I was expecting to remove the backsplash...is that fairly straightforward forward or am I increasingly looking a major project? Also we would be replacing the countertop. The reason for the replacement is that we had a decent amount of water that was leaking into the top which caused significant swelling and cracking

Old 09-11-18, 02:14 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Actually the replacement of vanity and backsplash will make the job easier. If you're very careful the backsplash tile removal will not damage the wall board to any great degree. If they don't pull too much paper off you can skim coat it and just put new tile on it. I don't think this job is too hard.

Old 09-11-18, 02:25 PM
P
So just to confirm, any regular stand alone vanity will work?

Old 09-11-18, 02:40 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
It should. I've done several. But I like to secure the back of the vanity to the wall. Similar to kitchen cabinets.

Old 09-13-18, 02:37 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Measure to make sure the new one will fit the space. Also check the height to verify that there will be no major changes to the plumbing.

Old 09-13-18, 04:34 PM
P
All good advice...very much appreciated!