Will kitchen cabinets warp due to the cold?

Old 09-16-18, 07:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will kitchen cabinets warp due to the cold?

I'm adding on a in-law apartment, it's not complete yet but the apartment is insulated. My kitchen cabinets arrived, they're still in boxes sitting in the new built with only insulated walls but no heat and we're getting into the cold season. I'm afraid if it gets to cold inside before I install the heat something might happen to the cabinets. I'm going to hook up space heaters temporarily but how cold can those cabinets get before they warp or something...

Old 09-16-18, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
I don't think the cold will bother theme as much as excessive moisture.
A space heater should be enough to keep that area dampness free.

Old 09-17-18, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I have cabinets out in my shop which is heated on an irregular basis. I don't have any warped doors after 15-20 yrs. I agree humidity would be a bigger concern than temperature.

Old 09-17-18, 06:13 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
My cabin is empty 90% of the time for the past 17 years, both winter and summer. No heat or power. No problem. All inside cabinets and fixtures are fine.

Old 09-17-18, 07:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Right now temps are still in the 70s but they are falling a little at night which makes it damp in the morning. They should be protected enough inside the house seeing they're still in boxes, I think the cardboard should keep the dampness off them. Hopefully I'll have the heat up and running soon, in the mean while if it happens to get to damp inside the house I'll be sure to run a space heater. Thanks for everything....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: