Quartz Countertop with seams fix

Old 09-21-18, 11:54 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quartz Countertop with seams fix

My contractor messed up and put quartz countertops with seams on cabinets he did not level first so the stove doesn’t fit and there is a noticeable jump near the seam. . Other contractors I have had look at the project say the countertop has to be totally redone because they will not be able to separate the slabs at the seams without chipping or crackling and the 20 year old mdf cabinets underneath will be ruined by removing the slabs. The contractor claims he has a right to fix it ( i want a refund so I can work with someone else) by cutting them at the seams and drilling from the bottom to release them from the cabinets. He claims it’s an easy fix and the other contractors are trying to upsell me. Opinions??? I’m not sure who to trust.

Old 09-22-18, 03:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Every quartz, granite or marble counter I've seen is barely attached to the cabinets. Usually there are just a few dabs of caulk to prevent it from easily sliding but mostly they rely on the weight of the counter to hold it in place.

I'd say let the first contractor attempt a fix. What do you have to lose?

Old 09-22-18, 05:23 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
What do you have to lose?
His cabinets!

I disagree. He did a very lousy job to start with. Just not a minor mistake. You want to preserve your cabinets and other experts advise against his fix. That would be enough for me to not let him touch it. You did your due diligent by getting other expert opinions.

I agree with PD's assessment that most tops are only placed on the cabinets with maybe just a spot of glue, but who knows what this contractor in fact did? Normally I think a contractor should be given the opportunity to correct a mistake, but in light of the bad job he initially did I would not want his "fix".

Get the other contractors opinions in writing.

Last edited by Norm201; 09-22-18 at 06:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: