range hood not really vented? now what?

Old 09-26-18, 12:04 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
range hood not really vented? now what?

doing a remodel. there is a rectangular hold behind where range hood lived. This is an exterior brick veneeri wall with insulation (black instead of pink fluff). I reached inside the hole to check the vent. NOTHING! Seriously, all these years the fan was blowing air into a hole? My range hood was about 50yrs old. It did not recirculate as there were no fins on the hood.

Installing a new microwave/hood. I would like to vent outside, but my exterior is brick. Can I have a pipe installed in the wall and thru the attic roof? Any idea what this would cost?

I have BIG kitchen windows about a foot away, but this isn't really ideal in extreme heat or cold. The house is 50 yrs old. The kitchen is original.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 10:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 732 Votes on 687 Posts
You could vent up thru a cabinet to the attic and then thru the roof if everything is in alignment.

I have installed the 4x10 vent line thru brick. It does take care and caution as it's easy to crack older bricks that can't be replaced.

Either job could be costly. This would be a job performed by an electrician or possibly handyman.

Old 09-27-18, 02:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Votes on 179 Posts
We have a ductless range hood with a charcoal [?] filter. I installed it close to 20 yrs ago and my wife has no complaints ..... although it is just the 2 of us except for special occasions.

Old 09-27-18, 03:10 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had a chimney fire a few decades back and it turned out that some prior Owner had penetrated a flue in the chimney to vent the range hood. A subsequent Owner installed a wood stove on the opposite side of the wall and into the same chimney flue.

We were the hapless Owners who were using the woodstove at the point that the build-up of grease from the range hood got ignited and burned inside the chimney and above the range hood, I believe I extinguished the flame with a combination of dousing it with water (steam) and starving it for air.

We moved the kitchen to a different room and closed off that penetration into the flue from the range hood side . . . . but still used the woodstove occasionally (after having it professionally cleaned and checked for cracks).

Sometimes you need Clark Kent's X-Ray vision to know what's going on inside the walls.

Last edited by Vermont; 09-27-18 at 03:46 AM.