Choice/wiring for new bathroom wall heater

Old 11-30-18, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Choice/wiring for new bathroom wall heater

I have looked at some heaters. I found one that I think I might buy and I found a PDF file with instructions for installing it. I noticed that it said "Route supply wire from the circuit
breaker directly to heater." Hmm, before I saw that, I was thinking the wiring for the heater could be connected to the same wiring as a light switch and fan switch which are in the wall where I would install the fan. Running new wiring all the way from the main circuit box (located in the garage) is out of the question. Is running a wire from the circuit breaker really necessary? Or,is that just a manufacturer taking the cautious approach to their publishing of instructions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-18, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Most likely the heater is 1500 watts and needs a dedicated circuit. The instructions should be followed.

Old 11-30-18, 07:04 PM
The heater I am thinking of buying can run on 120V or 240V. If 120V, the output is 1000 watts; if 240V, 1300 watts. I would be configuring it for 120V. I imagine hiring an electrician to install the heater and run dedicated wiring for it from the main circuit box would cost $100's.

I've used a 120V small space heater in the bathroom. If a space heater can be plugged into a regular/GFCI outlet, why does a heater of the same voltage and watts installed in a wall need to be wired directly to the home's main circuit box?

Old 11-30-18, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
The electric code cannot control what you plug in. Hardwired equipment does fall under the electrical code and provisions are in place to allow the safe functioning of the equipment while protecting the wiring in the walls. The code also requires any manufacturers instructions to be followed.

Old 09-19-19, 06:58 PM
choice of new wall heater for bathroom

I want to install a wall heater in a bathroom. This would be a new installation since the bathroom has never had a wall heater. The bathroom is only about 50 sq. ft. Therefore, I guess a 120V heater would be adequate, as opposed to a 240V and higher wattage heater. It would also be easier to install since I would not need to add a 240V circuit to the main breaker box. Does a 120V sound adequate?

Old 09-19-19, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Threads combined.

A 1000w 120v wall heater would probably be sufficient.
As pointed out in your previous thread..... you'd need to follow manufactures instructions.