Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

laminate kitchen counter-top with under-mount sink

Old 12-05-18, 03:13 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

For my kitchen make over dream.....(actually just new counter tops).

I really like laminate counter tops. Look great and waaay less expensive than other kitchen counter top materials. However I really want an under mount sink.

Unfortunately what I am hearing is home owners (from all across the country) who say they love their laminate kitchen counter top and have under mount sinks. Yet I got "official" reply's from Formica, WilsonArt and the local "box" stores that they don't recommend under mount sinks with laminate. Or that there is a special sink by Karran they recommend. The nearest Karran dealer to me said he had Karran but wouldn't recommend it!

Then someone mentioned drop in flush mount sinks.....by Blanco....starts at $2,500. or something crazy like that! But I haven't gotten much information about other drop in flush mount sinks, hopefully less expensive.

So are under mount sinks and laminate another of my impossible dreams?

Are drop in flush mount sinks a good option, assuming they work with laminate?

Old 12-05-18, 05:19 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I don't understand why an undermount sink can't be put on a laminated counter top. The laminate is on top and the sink will be mounted in the under surface that should be a plywood or hardwood of some sort. The counter should be at least 3/4 thick.

That being said, an under mount sink will usually require a professional install and if ever a problem arises professional will need to unmount and then remount. And if the under mount is not done correctly it can unbond and fall. Never heard of a flush mount drop in sink. Not saying it doesn't exist, just never saw one.

Personally I prefer a top mount. Easy to install and easy to change out or do plumbing if necessary. Yes, there is a lip that is over the counter but so what?

BTW...anybody who pays over $500 for a kitchen sink is nuts. After all it's a sink! But that's just me. A decent sink should run between $200 and $400.

Old 12-05-18, 05:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most laminate countertops are on top of particle board. Particle board does not play well with moisture, it will swell and delaminate. Your only choice on a laminate countertop is a top mount. Bottom mounts are to be used with solid services (corian), quartz, or stone.

Old 12-05-18, 05:25 PM
OK, I Googled Flush Mount Drop In sink. They all l look like they are resting on top of the counter. I call that a top mount. A few looked like maybe the surface was routed out to make it smooth with the countertop, but the pictures were not clear.

Old 12-05-18, 05:28 PM
Most laminate countertops are on top of particle board.
I'm surprised they are still made that way. I thought partical board was no longer used.

Old 12-05-18, 06:46 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Laminate countertops are low end of the spectrum. Yes, they are still produced on particle board. Its fine if the top mount sink is properly caulked. Short lived of water gets to the wood.

Old 12-06-18, 08:09 AM
B
Well...you all confirm what I have been told...in spite of home owners on Houzz saying they love their laminate counter tops and have under mount sinks.

I completely agree with the sentiment about what to pay for a sink. That was why I thought laminate was so appealing.

You have helped me make a decision. As of now I'm leaning towards laminate and a drop in.

Old 12-06-18, 08:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Besides the impracticality of an under-mount sink and laminate counter top, they don't help resale value. Might even hurt it. Save up for a solid surface or put a drop-in sink in the laminate.

Old 12-12-18, 08:47 AM
B
You guys, or gals, have been great. I will go with under mount. I have exhausted myself researching laminate counter tops and sinks for several weeks!

I have glanced at, saved, other kitchen counter top options. Will you do my homework for me, . What is a good, not luxurious, kitchen counter top .material? I can afford a luxurious material. But we intentionally bought a smallish simple house in an older plain, simple, neighborhood.

I don't need or want luxurious.

Old 12-12-18, 10:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
We used LG HiMacs solid surface in the master bath and kitchen over 10 years ago. Quartz in a very small bathroom, but it expensive.
Avoid granite. It chips on edges, unforgiving to glass that falls over, and it needs to be sealed periodically. It is heavy and may require support structure which sellers will not tell you. . And lastly, it is falling behind other solid surfaces.

Old 12-12-18, 02:50 PM
B
Thanks.I will Google that. Picking out materials for a renovation is exhausting! And I have a very bad sense of style and color!

Old 12-12-18, 05:08 PM
Avoid granite. It chips on edges, unforgiving to glass that falls over, and it needs to be sealed periodically. It is heavy and may require support structure which sellers will not tell you. . And lastly, it is falling behind other solid surfaces.
WOW! I'm a big fan of granite and none of what you say is true, if you take care like you would on any surface. We've had several glasses fall and break on our granite kitchen counter and never had a scratch. If properly sized it will not chip, but you can't step or kneel on the edge that protrudes over the edge. As far a sealing, yes you're suppose to, but few people do. The trick is not use oil on it and clean it when not using it. Never had a stain!
Of course you can't do that with any type of counter top. We also had our master bath vanity topped with a granite slap. Bet decision ever. And best of all when we went shopping for counter tops, granite was the least expensive of all stone type counter tops including "manufactured" tops. No special support was needed, including our large movable island. Is it falling behind other material? Maybe, but it's like white or black appliance colors. The never really goes out of style. Maybe just not the current fad. If properly selected to go with cabinets and decorator style, granite or marble is very rich looking. Oh, and it wares like, well stone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: