Kitchen Island from old kitchen cabinets?

Old 12-30-18, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Island from old kitchen cabinets?

Hi Everyone!
I am remodeling my kitchen. I am a big fan of kitchen islands but it seems that they are very expensive (over my budget). Since my old cabinets are in good condition I was wondering can I use my old cabinets for the base of kitchen island? How to hide ugly backside of old cabinets? My idea is to mounted new counter-top on top of two connected cabinets.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
Paneling or similar can be used to hide the backside of the cabinets. Some will frame up a half wall and mount the cabinets on one side and drywall the other. If I'm not mistaken islands are required to have an electrical outlet so figure that into your plans also. We bought our island at an unfinished furniture store so since it isn't permanent it isn't subject to any regulations.

Old 12-30-18, 05:23 AM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
Do you want this a a movable island or fixed. If movable you'll need to frame in the two cabinets to give them stability. Then the base will need heavy duty structure to mount the wheels. Obviously a movable will not have any electrical connections.

I have a large movable island with a granite top. It's built much heavier than typical cupboards.

Old 12-30-18, 06:01 AM
T
Do a search on cabinet end panels - you may find something that matches.

I built one years ago with this method - I screwed in 2x4's to the floor at the inside edges then screwed very low on the cabinet. The screws were hidden by quarter round molding.

Old 12-30-18, 08:43 AM
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
You can also use cabinets back-to-back with openings on both sides for a wider island. If your cabinets have finished sides you would not need end panels. If you do need end panels, or backing you could use plywood, beadboard, or tongue and groove paneling.

Old 12-30-18, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have enough space for back-to-back solution (my kitchen is not that big). It's going to be small fixed island. Only purpose will be extra storage space and extra work top. I am 100% sure that backside of my old cabinets must be covered by some panels. I will make extra research about that. I've read about this solution somewhere on this website *****but I wasn't sure is it doable.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-30-18 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 12-30-18, 01:44 PM
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
If you have extra cabinet doors that are large enough, you could attach them to the back with a piece of trim around (and in between) them if necessary to cover the edges of the cabinet sides.

This is a picture of the end of my island where I used a cabinet door to cover the side of the trash cabinet. The "door" on the left is fixed. The door on the right is operable. Both doors have knobs to make it look like a regular cabinet door. My doors are overlay type so I did not have to add any trim.

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-18, 05:58 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Cover the backs of the cabinets with cabinet-grade 1/4 in. plywood and stain to match as close as possible.