Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Granite counter top cut to replace sink inside home?

Old 03-19-19, 08:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I spoke with a few contractors who told me that I needed to replace the granite countertop if I want to replace the undermount sink. I used Angie's List and found a marble/stone company who told me they would remove the undermount, cut the granite countertop without removing and then install a farmhouse sink. Does this sound doable? The other contractors were very clear this cannot be done. I've attached pictures for reference.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-19, 04:48 AM
Received 258 Votes on 231 Posts
That's the downside of under mount sinks!

If the stone masons claim they can do it, why not. It seems to me the counter top is going to be cut and seamed regardless. What is the worst that can happen? They break the top and start over with a new one. They are experts with stone, I'd go by their recommendation. But be prepared to the possibility of removing the counter top.

Old 03-20-19, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
I think cutting the granite is the easy, albeit messy part. I am concerned how you are going to do the cabinet work. That's not a easy modification to do in the field and have turn out well.

Old 03-20-19, 07:45 PM
S
Originally Posted by norm201
That's the downside of under mount sinks!

If the stone masons claim they can do it, why not. It seems to me the counter top is going to be cut and seamed regardless. What is the worst that can happen? They break the top and start over with a new one. They are experts with stone, I'd go by their recommendation. But be prepared to the possibility of removing the counter top.
The worst scenario is they crack the counter top and I can't find a replacement to match the other countertops including island or I have to replace the existing countertop which is a HUGE slab.

To be honest, I was surprised the first 2 contractors were against it saying you can't do any cutting in the field and the last one said it was not a problem.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
I think cutting the granite is the easy, albeit messy part. I am concerned how you are going to do the cabinet work. That's not a easy modification to do in the field and have turn out well.
They said I have 6.25" of clearance and 6.5" is needed so the door needs to be moved down .25" and the cabinet needs to be reinforced to support a Kohler drop-in apron sink.

Old 03-20-19, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
Your better countertop companies would have no problem doing that... they use a wet saw and core bits. They "should" round the corners of your new cutout to avoid any potential stress cracks. But I don't quite understand what the clearance issue is.

Old 03-20-19, 08:54 PM
S
They can do this right in my kitchen? I THINK the sink hangs down 6.5" which means the door just needs to move down.

Old 03-20-19, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know why a door would be in the way of the sink. And most sinks are about 9" deep anyway.

Old 03-20-19, 09:15 PM
S
The overhang would impede the door.

Old 03-20-19, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Ohhh, farmhouse sink. I just got it. Sorry.

Old 03-20-19, 09:29 PM
S
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'll call a few more contractors and get more opinion. It doesn't seem to be a big deal but the 1st two companies said it was...

Old 03-20-19, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
No you were clear, it just didn't register until now.

Old 03-21-19, 05:05 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
I've seen a couple farmhouse sinks, some sit below the top, some sit on top.

Top mount would be easy since the edge would be covered, the below mount I would question since the edge would have to be finished.

Will be a really, really messy job!

Old 03-21-19, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
I would look at the specs for the sink you choose very carefully. First is the cabinet frame, the pretty part you see. It will be difficult to relocate the cross member on the face of the cabinet right below the sink and do it so it looks good. Also, the cabinet doors can't simply be moved down unless you don't mind having two doors that hang down lower than all the others. A more proper way is to make new, shorter height doors.