1/8 inch gap under countertop

Old 04-13-19, 09:26 PM
1/8 inch gap under countertop

I've just finished assembling a base cabinet which just needs a countertop (countertop will be quartz) as the last step. This is for a kitchen island. I just noticed that I cut one of the side panels a bit too short, so there is a 1/8" gap between the underside of the countertop and the top of the side panel. I really don't want to buy another side panel and re-cut it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fill this gap so it's not as noticeable? The side panel is matte white in colour. Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-19, 12:56 AM
Group Moderator
After your countertop is on, you can add a moulding to it. Screen mould would be the smallest simplest trim. Your overhang will cover most of that gap so unless you're on your knees or you are 3 feet tall you probably won't see it.

Old 04-14-19, 07:53 AM
Thanks XSleeper. My friend also suggested putting painter's tape along the top of the side panel and under the countertop and just bead some white silicone since the side panel is matte white. What do you think of this idea as I already have the supplies?

Old 04-14-19, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulk would work although there is the possibility the caulking could fail down the road. IMO a thin piece of trim would look better.

Old 04-14-19, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
I've done the caulk trick several times and it works pretty well. I like to apply tape to either side of the caulk area. Then smooth out the caulk over the tape. Then remove the tape as soon as you are done and the caulk is still wet. The tape method leaves nice straight edges to the caulk line and removes the fine, feathery edge of the caulk which can peel and flake up over time.

Old 04-14-19, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Up to you. The main thing is that the cabinet support needs to be perfectly flat and level. Quartz countertops don't bend, they break if there is a high spot or a low spot that creates a stress point.

Old 04-14-19, 08:39 PM
If I use moulding, what type of adhesive is best to stick the moulding to the side of the cabinet (IKEA melamine)?

Old 04-15-19, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd use PL adhesive along with a few brads to hold it in place while the adhesive sets.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-PL-...-fl-oz/3266081

Old 04-16-19, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice!