Preparing shower

Old 05-28-19, 08:43 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Preparing shower

I am preparing shower for rough inspection. Until now I have always installed vinyl on top of subfloor and then pre-mixed cement with pitch to get it ready for tiles. One of the plumbing expert said you pitch with plywood first and then put vinyl and pre-mix cement. Thats the code now he said. I am not sure am following what he said so want to make sure what he said is correct and how would i do that
Thanks for the help.
See pic of my shower

Name:  sh1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  90.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-29-19 at 11:36 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-19, 03:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
You need to get advice from plumbers younger than 60. Mortar beds no matter how constructed dropped out of favor 15-20 years ago. There are numerous new shower systems that make the whole process much easier. Some to consider are: KBRS, Kerdi, Wedi...

Old 05-29-19, 08:17 AM
S
Thanks very much Pilot Dane.
I looked at Kerdi and Wedi but was skeptical as they are all foam board and was wondering that down the road will this rigid foam will be able to hold the weight or not. Looking at kerdi and wedi seemed like Wedi was little less work intensive then kerdi. Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-29-19, 09:28 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
So I used the Prova shower base about 6 years ago for our 4x7 walk in shower.

I had never done a shower but was confident that I did not want a mortar bed.

Anyway, the foam floor went in with out any issues and once complete it's obvious not going to have any issues down the road.

I'm also confident that the water integrity of the membrane system will outlive anything else out there!

Old 05-29-19, 10:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
When I built my house the new systems were just coming out so I went old school and did the mortar bed. I recall cursing several times and loosing some blood over the razor sharp reinforcing mesh. The olde ways still work but it's a lot more work.

I have stayed in many hotels where I can swear they used the newer foam type shower pans. If using them commercially on that scale I assume that means they are tried, trusted and reliable and I have never seen cracked tile or grout. The only thing I don't like is the floor has a bit of a hollow sound. Tile normally sounds rock hard but if you tap on tile with the new system it may sound hollow.

Old 05-29-19, 05:30 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm one to still do it the old fashioned way. It starts with felt paper, then wire mesh then a sloped bed of deck mud that has a 1/4" slope to the drain. Deck mud at the drain should be no thinner than 3/8". After it sets up, lay your pan liner in and afix the drain. Once that has set up, you get a test balloon and shove it down the drain. Fill the pan with 5 to 10 gallons of water and let it set for a couple of days or over the weekend. If the water level has not dropped, you have a tight pan system. You call for the inspection when the balloon in down the drain and water is in the pan. The inspector wants to see that it holds water. Then you do another layer of 1" deck mud to the drain cap and then tile.

This guy will pretty much walk you through the whole of it.

https://floorelf.com/how-to-create-a...r-floor-part-1

Old 05-29-19, 05:54 PM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
The only thing I don't like is the floor has a bit of a hollow sound
Would not call it hollow sound but it's different, after a week it was the norm!

Old 05-29-19, 08:42 PM
S
Thank you Pilot Dane for confirming.
@ CZiZZi - That was very helpful and exactly what i was looking for.
@ Marq1 - As always you are very helpful.

I have 2 showers to build so I am going with one traditional way and other i have chosen wedi as its little less work involved then kerdi system. One of the local tile store offered me to sell Wedi @ $800.00 so i am thinking might not be bad idea to try and if everything goes successful in future i want to only use the newer systems.