Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Placing a stove in a kitchen counter cutout? Need advicee

Old 11-12-19, 10:28 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello. I was looking to replace my old wall gas oven with a new one but I am finding out wall gas ovens today are hard to find and if so they are so expensive. I would replace with a electric wall oven but I don't have 220 wiring and I believe to have it installed would require a lot of work and money so my plan is to cut a opening in the counter where the stove top is and place a 30 inch freestanding gas oven. I was going to remove the wall oven and place doors in the opening and use it as a pantry. My problem is I wonder when I cut the opening in the counter will it weaken the counter top or how should I approach this project? Can it work or do I need to remove the old counter with something new. Thanks in advance.

Name:  k1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  k2.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  k3.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  k4.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  96.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-12-19 at 06:31 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 11-12-19, 10:41 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Is that opening already 30"? The one next to the current ovens. Not the opening where a dishwasher would go. If so, a little bit of carpentry will be required to support the side wall when you cut the cabinet. But you will also need to cut the counter top and that looks like it already has a seem in the section you need to cut.
To my way of thinking, buy new counter top after you fit in the new range.

Old 11-12-19, 01:35 PM
R
No the opening near the oven is less than 30" The stove top is 30" I probably could cut at seem of where the stove top is but I would have to find a filler for the rest of the opening.

Old 11-12-19, 03:38 PM
I thought your counter top was a one piece slab, but after closer inspection it looks like it is made of tiles. So that kind of changes things. In terms of expense, I think a new cupboard might be cheaper. But some inovated carpentry can do what you want. Again, remove the current stove stop range. Locate where you're going place the new full range and begin to cut counter top and cupboards to fit. You'll need to make side wall supports for each side. Then you'll need to fill in the remaining cut out of the old range top and cover with new tiles. That's all I got. Maybe some of the other guys can come up with a better idea.

edit...Why not use the lower section of the old ovens to install the new free standing range and convert the just the upper one to a storage cupboard?

Old 11-12-19, 03:46 PM
Another thought. What's you budget look like? I notice that your upper cupboards are not matched to the lower units and is the back splash at the far end of the kitchen that same brick look? If not you might want to look at a complete demo and remodel. In the long run you might make out better and give the home a better re-sale look. Updated kitchens always are big selling point if you ever decide to sell.

Old 11-12-19, 04:39 PM
R
Thanks norm201 for your thoughts. I guess I have to really sit down and think what I want to do. I do have funds that I could remodel with new cabinets but holidays are coming fast and was going to do a quick fix for holiday guests but now you got me thinking maybe I will look into a remodel either after the holidays or now and don't have company over. I could remove the old oven and place the free standing stove there but my stove vent for vent hood is located above where the old stove range is. I guess I would have to seal that up and brake though my wall brick to build another vent which is starting to sound like a large project.

Old 11-12-19, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Your biggest problem isn't the countertop, it's the cabinets. Those are "homemade" built-in's from the 60's the way it looks. So you are bound to encounter some problems when you go to work on them.

For instance, it's possible that the plywood on bottom is continuous under the oven and into the next cabinet to the left. You will need an oscillating multitool (like Fein Multimaster) in order to cut that flush with the left outside edge of the oven cabinet. The countertop is also likely nailed to the oven cabinet from the inside of the oven cabinet.

There also is no stile under the oven on the left side. You will need to save face trim from the disassembled cabinet (where you want to put the stove) and reuse it there.

You also didn't tell us what the measurement is where you want the stove to go... from the left side of the existing oven cabinet to the left side of that exposed 2x4 in your third pic. I'm assuming a dishwasher went in that empty opening there, and that opening is currently 24" wide there?

If you have extra room (let's say it's at least 55 1/2" from the left end of the dishwasher opening to the left side of the oven cabinet), I would probably add a solid 3/4" plywood panel to the left and right sides of the dishwasher opening... and if you have more room than that build a small "wall" (on the right side of the dishwasher) as thick as it needs to be in order to leave you with exactly 30" for the stove. (Or 30 1/4" if you want some wiggle room)

Then put a new face trim on the front of that plywood on the left and right of the dishwasher. You will need to fasten the countertop to that. Then once that is done, you can cut out the countertop to create your 30" wide space, and remove everything in that space to make room for the new 30" oven to slide in.

Old 11-13-19, 05:12 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Usually having a stove next to a dishwasher is not recommended.
So give yourself a couple inches of clearance.

Putting a lot of effort into this just to redo it in a couple months does not make sense to me.

Personally I am not disturbed having people over when my place is in the process of a reno.
Often I get ideas from them and once in a while an offer of help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: