Granite or quartz

Old 11-27-19, 03:29 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Granite or quartz

We are in the early planning stages for our renovated kitchen and are trying to decide on countertop materials. We are replacing granite but are butting heads about what to replace it with.

Wife wants "white" countertops with a minimum (but some) design features in the quartz.
I'm a granite fan, really impressed with Mother Nature's creativity in natural stone.

I recognize that quartz has some advantages over granite but from what I've seen (touring 3 stone supply houses) it can't touch granite.

I'm interested in opinions from anyone that has stone countertops, especially regarding staining, marring etc.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

11-28-19, 05:29 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
We had to make the quartz vs stone decision when I re-did our kitchen in 2013. We ended up going with granite. There wasn't a significant difference in price but as you've probably found the price can vary dramatically with what stone you choose.

After six years we still love the granite. So far no dishes or glassware has been broken so it's not that difficult to learn to set things down a bit carefully. My wife really loves the heat resistance though we still use trivets/hot pads under hot pans. The very smooth surface makes cleanup easy and we've not had to any re-sealing.

If you are at all considering selling your home in the next 10 or so years I would tend towards granite. With quartz your sales listing might say "solid surface" or "quartz" counter tops while most home buyers today want to see the word "granite".

Old 11-27-19, 04:27 PM
Received 91 Votes on 83 Posts
FWIW...We have granite. Wife is very careful about what goes on it. We would not consider anything else. We looked at quartz but neither of us liked it. Too uniform. I'm with you on the natural variations.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 11-28-19, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
We had to make the quartz vs stone decision when I re-did our kitchen in 2013. We ended up going with granite. There wasn't a significant difference in price but as you've probably found the price can vary dramatically with what stone you choose.

After six years we still love the granite. So far no dishes or glassware has been broken so it's not that difficult to learn to set things down a bit carefully. My wife really loves the heat resistance though we still use trivets/hot pads under hot pans. The very smooth surface makes cleanup easy and we've not had to any re-sealing.

If you are at all considering selling your home in the next 10 or so years I would tend towards granite. With quartz your sales listing might say "solid surface" or "quartz" counter tops while most home buyers today want to see the word "granite".

cwbuff, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-28-19, 07:13 AM
Received 122 Votes on 113 Posts
Everything comes and goes as trends, hang around long enough and we'll probably see Formica back!

We've had granite in the last 2 houses despite hearing how other materials are the new trend!

I've seen some really wild granite pieces out there, definitely something I would stay away from but as long as whatever you chose is durable go with what you like!

Old 11-28-19, 07:36 AM
When we remodeled our kitchen back in 2006 we compared granite, marble, quartz , and Dupont Corian. At the time the Corian seemed to be the big rage. Marble was very expensive and the quartz was just too plane even with various colors and design. And again at the time the granite was the cheapest and in our opinion the nicest.
The biggest drawback with the natural stone is being careful not to use any oils on it and never use the edge as a support to climb up to reach the upper cabinets.

Old 11-28-19, 08:05 AM
Hey CW,
Even though this was unplanned and since you have little choice in the matter I hope you and your wife are having fun picking out the new home furnishings and re-building. Get what makes you and her happy.

That's the attitude I take when I must buy a new car. I hate buying a car, but once the commitment is made I try to make it a fun process.

Old 11-28-19, 09:03 AM
We had granite for 12 years and we really liked it. No problems except that every wine glass that tipped over on the counter broke. No big deal. Long ago we learned to buy cheap wine glasses. After the first couple of years I never again sealed the granite. The guy that installed the tops said that sealing it was a waste of time and money. I could take a cast iron fry pan off the cooktop and place it directly on the counter - no problems.

If it were me I would go with granite again no question - however, the wife is looking for a light colored countertop to match her kitchen design and quartz seems to fit the bill.

I'm still working on her.

Old 11-28-19, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My sister is having her kitchen remodeled as we speak and with all the new lights she says the granite "looks" whiter than she thought it would.

Looks pretty white to me, maybe the wife would like that?

Name:  Counter Top 1s.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  52.9 KB

Old 11-28-19, 09:47 AM
Baldwin, Good point about the lighting. Maybe CW's wife might be able to take sample pieces home to see what it looks like under different lighting conditions.

Old 11-28-19, 05:03 PM
We have no lights - actually we have no electricity.

I will keep my eye out for a white/light granite though.

Old 11-30-19, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sister Was Wrong

Talked to her last night and she says it's granite called Silestone. Oops, that is quartz youngster.... oh.

I have a feeling you've looked at something like this already, I'd never know the difference.

Name:  Quartz Counter.JPG
Views: 10
Size:  53.1 KB

Good luck.