Backsplash help!

Old 01-10-20, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backsplash help!

Iím looking to put a backsplash in our kitchen but I canít figure out where / how to end it. I believe the traditional spot to end it is where the cabinets and the counter but there is a light switch right in the middle of that line. What should I do?

Name:  counter.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-10-20 at 09:22 PM. Reason: imported pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-20, 01:20 AM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
This is one of those projects where you obsess over the detail but when it's all done it sort of disappeared from view with time.

If really ambitious you could move the switch to the left but that has the chance of turning into a big can of worms.

Simple solution, run the backsplash all the way to the door!

What is that silver thing?

Old 01-11-20, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I'd also run the tile to the door casing. I might run it down along the edge of the cabinet also.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-11-20, 04:05 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You mention the light switch but not the outlet in the photo so I assume the top of the backsplash will come under the outlet but will not clear the light switch. That being the case, the easy solution is to raise the light switch 1-2" to make it even with the outlet. Simply cut the power, remove the cover to uncover the box, confirm that the wire is coming from above the box, cut the drywall being careful to avoid the wiring, detach and reattach the box, repair the drywall, and turn the power back on. You may have to shorten the wires an inch or so.

Overall, the easy approach is to cut the drywall from the middle of a stud to the middle of the next stud to make the repair easier.

BTW, from the photo it appears someone moved the switch down in the past.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-11-20 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume the top of the backsplash will come under the outlet but will not clear the light switch.
It looks to me like the current backsplash is molded as a part of the counter top in which case the new backsplash would be installed above it. I assume it will go to the bottom of the upper cabinets.

Old 01-11-20, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
I assume the top of the backsplash will come under the outlet
He intends to tile the wall between the backsplash and upper cabinets and would like to end the tile at the right edge of the countertop.

The right thing to do is to move the outlet over 3". Open the wall up, removing a 16" wide section of drywall, leaving at least 3" of drywall above and below the outlet to make it easier to tape. You "should" have enough wire to do this, especially if the outlet could move upward a little as it goes left.

You could also forget moving the outlet and doing the drywall repair and just continue the tile to the casing... following the line created by the top of the backsplash and the bottom edge of the wall cabinet. If either tile has to be cut you would want to use a schlueter edge to create that line and cap the tile edge.

What is that silver thing?
You've never seen a curtain holdback hook???

Old 01-11-20, 04:42 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
I agree with Marq and Marksr. It's not that big a deal and not worth changing electrical switches. I also like the idea of running down to the floor. Giving it a finished look.

Old 01-11-20, 08:26 AM
You've never seen a curtain holdback hook???
That was my first though but the curtain appears to open to the right as well as having the door handle on the left so you wouldn't normally have them stuffed on that side.

Just a secondary observation!

Old 01-13-20, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions and help! I think I will tile all the way to the trim and down to the floor.

How should I finish the top of the tile where it isnít under the cabinets (between the cabinets and the door trim)?

To answer some questions, the metal thing is a curtain holder (I pulled the curtain to the right so you could see the wall). They are very light curtains so they donít get in the way of the door handle.

Also, the light switch hasnít been moved (to my knowledge), the different paint color is a result of a touch up job with paint that wasnít quite the same shade.

Old 01-13-20, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
If either tile has to be cut you would want to use a schlueter edge to create that line and cap the tile edge.
?...................................

Old 01-13-20, 08:56 AM
How should I finish the top of the tile where it isnít under the cabinets (between the cabinets and the door trim)?
If a bull nose tile is available that would be my first choice.

I have a similar spot where the cabinet was short of the backslash, I just put a liberal bead of grout color caulk along the top edge and it looks fine!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-13-20, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd use a bullnose tile if available. it would likely be placed above the backsplace between the cabinet and door casing. Grout or grout colored caulk will work if your choice of backsplash tile doesn't have a matching bullnose.