Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Damaged shower wall, any tips on how to fix this

Old 02-02-20, 08:15 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, so i have a damaged wall in my shower and i was wondering if and how i could fix this myself without hiring anyone

Attached Images    
Old 02-02-20, 08:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
What material is that, wood? Is it actually in the shower, or in the bathroom?

Old 02-02-20, 08:59 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
Is this actually inside the shower stall?
Looks like there is tile on one wall in the picture so I am confused.

Also it looks like it is painted MDF which is not a good material in wet/damp locations as it absorbs water and swells.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 02-02-20, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Ya, it looks like MDF or masonite
You could sand it down, prime and paint but that is really only a temporary fix if it's part of the shower.

Old 02-02-20, 11:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
It looks like something I call tile board. Basically an MDF with a thin plastic veneer and usually some kind of pattern or printing. The problem is it's not intended for wet areas. Once water makes it's way past the thin top coating the MDF swells and there is no repair. You can only replace it.

I suppose if you wanted to give it a bit more life you can let the area thoroughly dry. Then paint the bubbled up areas with several coats of an oil based primer and/or paint. This isn't fixing. It's just covering up and applying some moisture resistant paint.

Old 02-02-20, 11:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Way back when I had a girlfriend who's father had a tub/shower surround that was that tile board. It was in rough shape. I oil primed it and applied 2 coats of oil base enamel. I told him I thought it would last about 6 months and to save up for a replacement surround. A couple of yrs later I ran into that girl and asked about her dad's shower surround. She shocked me and said it still looked good but she did also say that he dried it off with a towel after each use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: