Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Silicone - Caulking - Remove all old putty/grout?

Old 05-26-20, 07:52 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I have a bathtub-shower that was leaking to the floor below. I isolated the leak to the calking at the tile wall bathtub junction. I'm in the process of removing the old caulk at that junction and I plan on putting down new silicone to hopefully seal the area and stop future leaks. My question concerns removing the old caulk. During the process I notice that in addition to caulk there is also what looks like harder grout in that same space. Some of it is loose and broken and easily removable. Other areas are not. Some areas also appear to have silicone that appears pretty wedged in - Is it necessary to remove all of this prior to filling with new silicone? Can I leave the parts that contain intact solid grout and or silicone and lay my new silicone over those areas or is it necessary to dig out all the old stuff? Basically how "aggressive" do I need to get removing the old stuff? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-20, 12:55 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
This is perfect example of why silicon should not be used in a shower. the newer siliconized latex caulks with microban are superior in durability.

It sounds like someone caulked over the grout which was partially loose, it's going to be impossible to fully remove but you will need to remove as much of the old caulk to provide a clean surface for the new caulk to adhere.

Scraping will get the worst, I've had better luck with Goo-Gone to soften it up!