ship lap or peel and stick for bathroom?

Old 06-26-20, 04:18 PM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ship lap or peel and stick for bathroom?

first question is, any idea what the blue sheet is on my wall from the 50s. i just call it vinyl but unsure what it really is. i do know i will not be removing it from the wall as i did already from the shower and its really a pain as is the cementboard under it. i only have a 5 ft x 4 ft part of my bathroom under a mirror that is this blue stuff.

the rest of the walls look like what is in my other pics below. obviously its not good enough to just paint over after i lift the wallpaper.

im all about ez so i was wondering opinions on stick up wall board or ship lap type planks with liquid nails or some other strong adhesive. there are gonna be LOT of custom cuts in the bathroom as its very complicated. I have a shower stall. a tub, 2 huge mirrors, an 8 ft enclosed light enclosure above my sink and a closet. you can see just around the mirror will be a pain but around everything else is gonna take a lot of special cutting but i cannot just paint over what is in the pic below can i?

around the mirror id probably just cut a vertical strip instead of trying to do little pieces of horizontal on either side. i do want to keep the mirror. but as you can see there's gonna be a bit of a disconnect or lip where i put the new stuff over teh blue vs around the mirror.. is there any way i can just double up on the board i hang up against the mirror to avoid the 'lip'? i'm already worried how its gonna meet up with the shower . probably gonna do the glue up shower walls in that tub. guess the other boards up top on the top foot.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-20, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
It's definitely NOT from the 50s. More like the 80s or 90s. We called it Glassboard but it's just a water resistant bathroom panelling.

Old 06-26-20, 05:45 PM
L
been doing research. anyone hear of these? they say waterproof for shower which would be very appealing to me

https://nuwalpanels.com/shower-bath/

Old 06-26-20, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
Peel and stick right over your existing tiles.
To simplify the installation process, you can simply place your new stick-on wall tiles directly over top of your old ones. This DIY hack allows you to add an extra layer of security and durability while saving time and money spent on the removal process.

I'm not a pro in this field but I don't agree with their philosophy and I certainly don't believe in any self-stick products holding up well in a bathroom or shower area.

Old 06-26-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
At least they used the right word for doing something like that. A DIY "Hack".

At what point did the word hack turn into something good, anyway?

You would be rolling the dice that it would stick... and be waterproof.

Old 06-27-20, 05:41 AM
L
so is "require a 1/8-inch bead of DAP®
Kwik Seal Ultra be placed inside both
grooves on every tile" not enough to make it stick and be water proof? im assuming if i put the stuf on back of the tiles that they would stick to my walls. i dont remember what i used on my beadboard sheets in the foyer half bath but thats been up 6 years with no issues. and that was glued to metal tiles

can you recommend a stronger adhesive than the dap ultra that may work on the stick up tiles for both water proof and non water proof surfaces? i realllly dont wanna do the big sheets of fiberglass for the tub but that is the only other DIY option ive discovered that would work on my existing panel.. i'm also assuming it would be totally stupid to nail it in the shower but i really need an easy something in the shower. only thing i wanna pay a pro for is reglazing the tub.

then something for that 5 ft section of the panel and of course i wanted to use the same product on the normal bathroom walls and all those custom cuts that are gonna be needed. im undecided what to use in my closet i need to built. now its just studs showing so i can easily nail up something

also for the drywall install they say: Apply adhesive to the back of the
panel. The recommended adhesive is
Loctite® Power Grab Ultimate. Carefully
read and follow adhesive manufacturer’s
directions. Apply a 1/4" bead in a typical
"M" or "W" pattern, and a bead around
the tile perimeter about ˝-inch in
(image M). The 10 oz. adhesive tube
covers approximately 5 wall panels

so wondering what would be stronger than that to hold it up on the walls? in their current condition no way can i just paint the walls. and my guess is the prep would take longer than covering them.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
install board.pdf (2.06 MB, 4 views)
Old 07-07-20, 07:20 AM
L
so theres a lumber shortage i wasnt aware of. went to look at ship lap in lowes and zero there. i was thinking would be screwed over everything and i can paint it before i nail it up. however then i wondered how id finish it on the ends?

for example over my counter i have a large mirror. i believe the ship lap would come out further than the mirror and youd see every end up and down the mirror. how would i resolve this?