Hairline crack in granite countertop

Old 07-02-20, 10:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hairline crack in granite countertop

I have a hairline crack in my granite countertop right next to my kitchen sink. I'm not necessarily concerned about making it look like new, I just want to make sure it doesn't get worse or create other problems. Am I right in thinking I should fill it with epoxy and resin? Any recommendations for what exactly to buy? I'm not looking to get those 1 gallon kits and I don't need color as clear is fine. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-20, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
You would likely want to use a high viscosity epoxy repair kit, like this. Sink cutouts are the weakest part of the countertop and most likely place for them to break, especially if the cabinets were not perfectly flat, or if they have since settled under the weight.

Old 07-02-20, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
Have you looked underneath to see how the granite is supported? Some cabinets don't provide much or any support in the middle of the counter with most of the support running along the front and back edges. If you don't have any support there you may want to add some on either side of the sink.

Old 07-02-20, 02:04 PM
Received 309 Votes on 289 Posts
Your problem, if all you have is a crack, then it doesn't matter what type of repair material you use you cant get it into the crack so all your doing is smearing it across the surface which does nothing!

Old 07-02-20, 03:40 PM
Received 188 Votes on 170 Posts
I think the seal repair kit X mentioned will, if nothing put a protective surface over the crack. I would go for it. No harm done.

Old 07-03-20, 04:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
I wonder if thin CA (cyanoacrylate) glue would help reinforce the crack. The thin is like water and might be able to wick into the crack. Any access on the surface can be shaved off with a razor blade.

Old 07-03-20, 09:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a very thin crack. Would that lend itself to using CA glue rather than an epoxy kit like mentioned above? If so, are any particular CA glue brands recommended? I see Starbond, Loctite and Gorilla are popular. Thanks.

Old 07-03-20, 01:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
I normally use Bob Smith brand CA's but there are many others. The big thing I would look for is a manufacturer that produces and labels their product in different thicknesses. That way when you buy "thin" you're pretty assured of getting thin. Some of the glue I've bought from my local Walmart or Lowes didn't clearly say it's consistency and some were thin and some where medium. For the cost of shipping you could buy a couple different glues at your local store and use the one you like best.

Epoxies tend to be viscous/thick. They can be thinned with alcohol but you also loose strength. And, you NEVER want to heat epoxy to thin it as it will cause it to cure faster and harden.

In your situation I'd brace the slab from underneath for long term protection. Treat the crack with thin CA for strength. Then use water clear epoxy or color tint epoxy to fill in the crack to make it smooth and pretty.

Old 07-03-20, 02:29 PM
Received 188 Votes on 170 Posts
Go to this site. It has specific section on hairline cracks in granite. They suggest an epoxy specific for granite.

https://marble.com/articles/how-to-do-granite-repair