Tub surround panel is not adhering completely

Old 09-15-20, 01:43 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tub surround panel is not adhering completely

Hello,

I am installing a tub surround and there is an area that didn't adhere properly. This is the center piece that overlaps ... but all 5 panels overlap and this is the only one with the problem. I didn't catch the problem immediately(dozed off for 45 mins .. hey it was 12am at night ...) and my sibling continued to the next panel knowing this and didn't come and get me. By the time I woke up, it was too late to pull it back and fix since we had ran out of adhesive.

We were using loctite PL 550 so figured I should try something else and bought loctite power grab 0 sec but that didn't work at all ... it was so thick and I couldn't get it in the crease without risking pulling the entire panel of since it was under 24 hrs drying period at the time.

How do I fix this? Is there any way to dissolve the current adhesive without harming the panels? I've tried using a utility knife but I end up scratching the panel. Should I just fill the gaps with something? Try Super Glue?Just caulk over? Or do I have to pry it off, scrap adhesive & caulk and start over on a big portion of that panel?

The quickest fix that will resolve this is appreciated as this is my only bathroom.

5 panel Tub surround

Center panel, this corner, didn't adhere.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-20, 04:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I see the gap in your photo. Is hardened glue holding the two panels apart or is there no glue in that area?

Old 09-15-20, 05:45 PM
D
You know I had to go back and take a closer look ....

Its hardened glue that is holding the two panels together except at the bottom end (circled in red). I ran my fingers & nails along the side and its glued, it just has ...more open space in comparison to its opposite side.

There seems to be "something" that is causing the bottom end corner to not line up with the other panel, there is gap there. I wondered if its too much caulk because the instructions was to 1st add bead of caulk on the tub flange, so I've tried to cut out the caulk but that hasn't seem to help.

Old 09-15-20, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It doesn't look like a caulk issue. It looks like the two panels aren't fitting together correctly or something in the wall is behind the one and holding it out.

If you need to remove the caulk..... use a plastic scraper.

Old 09-15-20, 09:02 PM
D
It is new drywall that had 2-3 coats of primer so nothing else was behind except the caulk that I had to place on the flange placed before installing Panel A, then B, then C (center with the issue).

The only other thing I can think of is that Panel A and B required me to cut off 1 inches to make sure it fit in the ... groove indicated in the picture. I am sure we did so either we were off a bit at that corner OR we didn't get it leveled correctly ... but that still does seem like it, its a gap between the 2 panel .... is the wall not even? I don't know so let me stop guessing.

Old 09-16-20, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It's not a perfect solution but those panels are so easy to scratch I would try gluing it down as best you can. You may have to cut some wood to go from the tub edge to the surround to push and firmly hold it in place until the adhesive has a good cure. Then caulk whatever gap is left.

Old 09-16-20, 05:01 PM
D
Pilot Dane

Hi Pilot Dane, a perfect solution is not required, just enough to prevent water from getting behind the wall and worst case until next Spring when I could have my siblings back to build a new solution if it became necessary.

Do you think I should attempt to scrap off the existing hardened glue at all OR just get a new set of glue and use the wood you describe to push and hold it firmly.

Should I use same Loctite PL Adhesive for tub surround? OR Look for something stronger (e.e Loctite Power Grab Ultimate Construction Adhesive) even though it could ... burn through and be visible on the surround but not destroy it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: