Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Kitchen cabinets 3 inches wider than wall space. How can I hang them?

Old 10-23-20, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

New to this forum and need help. I have 3 framed kitchen cabinets that I salvaged from my kitchen reno and now want to hang them in my laundry room.

The cabinets all together are 3 inches wider then the wall. Wall is 78 inches wide and cabinets total width is 81 inches.

Any idea how to make it fit?

I was thinking of cutting out the sheetrock on each side when hanging cabinets up but not sure if that will give me the 3 inches needed. Should I cut into the wall 2x4's also?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

10-23-20, 10:47 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Cutting out the drywall would only gain you 1" It would be better to just hang 2 cabinets and install shelving between them.

Old 10-23-20, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!
Cutting out the drywall would only gain you 1" It would be better to just hang 2 cabinets and install shelving between them.

40belowz, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 10-23-20, 11:23 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
You would have to confirm, but burying them 1 1/2" into the wall will likely interfere with their function plus not going to look so great.

Dont even think about cutting them up that is a major task and you would need a really good/large table saw to even think about doing that!

40belowz voted this post useful.
Old 10-24-20, 06:53 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
I agree with Marksr. Use two cabinets and shelving.
If you have three 27 inch cabinets, another option is to replace the center cabinet with a 24 inch wide unit.

Old 10-24-20, 02:13 PM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
I agree that 2 cabinets make the most sense and is the easiest solution, but a cabinet is nothing more than a box with a face frame and a door. Depending on your cabinets, your available tools and your skills, cutting 3" can be no big deal. Can you post some pictures?

Old 10-25-20, 12:21 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
cutting 3" can be no big deal
You have apparently never attempted cutting up a cabinet, they are all morticed and glued together, the only way it can be done is with a very large table saw.

Old 10-25-20, 07:12 AM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
I have to disagree? When I built my wood shop I was given some kitchen cabinets for tool storage which I refurbished and cut to fit. I did it with a circular saw which is a lot easier than cutting a box with a table saw. I rabbeted the box edge with a router but it doesn't have to be done that way. A simple butt joint will work fine for a laundry cabinet. The face frame was cut and reassembled with pocket screws. As I said a lot depends on the cabinet design. A raised panel door is obviously more problematic than a flat or shaker door.

More recently the guys that hung my new kitchen cabinets cut down an over the fridge cabinet that was too wide. It took about 15 minutes with a circular saw. They did replace the door.

Old 10-26-20, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I had the tools and knowledge I would have taken a shot but I will have to settle for two cabinets and shelves in between.

Old 10-26-20, 07:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that will look good along with being whole lot easier than rebuilding a cabinet and cheaper than buying a smaller one for the middle [if you can find a match].