Complicated wall behind Kitchen Backsplash

Old 11-28-20, 08:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Complicated wall behind Kitchen Backsplash

Hi,

I am slowly starting to re-do my kitchen, and started with the countertops and backsplash. The wall behind my backsplash was half gypsum half plaster and lath. The plaster is extremely damaged (I've added a picture). My first thought is to remove all the plaster and put backerboard over both the gypsum and lath before tiling. Or would it be better to repair the plaster and use thin-set on the plaster portion for tiling?

Any advice would be useful. Thanks!

Old 11-28-20, 08:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
I would remove the plaster and sheetrock. Then go over the whole area with new cement board. This will give you fewer joints in the backing material which might help better resist cracking in the future.

Old 11-28-20, 12:16 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Backsplash tile is not very demanding compared to a floor or shower but needs a solid structure. If that lath is solid drywall is more than sufficient for the task, you can do backer but it's not a requirement!

Old 11-28-20, 12:28 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
If that's an ext. wall I'd be stripping it down to the studs and removing all that old insulation and replace before I did anything.
Once insulated I'd also add a vapor barrier, that old a home is very prone to air leaks.
I'd use blue board just to be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: