Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Bathroom shower issues - shower pan threshold too small for shower dooor

Old 01-06-21, 01:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I need your help with a bathroom remodel. We installed a shower base that has a 2.5 inch threshold and accidentally ordered a shower door that requires a minimum 3 inch threshold. We are unable to return the shower door because itís will cost hundreds of dollars as it needs to be returned via freight.

Is there a way to increase the shower base threshold to make the shower door work?

Thank you in advance for your help! We are desperate.

Thank you

Old 01-06-21, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
A picture of your threshold might help. I have a hard time envisioning why it would need 3"... so a link to your door model # and instructions might help too.

Old 01-06-21, 02:50 PM
D
Pictures of shower threshold etc

Here are a few pics of the shower base/threshold.

My shower base with a threshold of 2.5 inches
Thank you

Last edited by Dixie92; 01-06-21 at 02:58 PM. Reason: More pics
Old 01-06-21, 03:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I'd get a sheet of 3/4" thick PVC trim material. Cut a strip to fit on the outside of your threshold. Depending on how your door mounts you could just hold the strip in place with caulk or you may need to glue and screw it.

Old 01-06-21, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
Figure 3 in your instructions (see link) says the minimum needed is 2 3/4" on bottom and 3 1/4" where the wall track meets the threshold on each side. So if its 2 1/2" you are really only short 1/4". The sides aren't an issue.

But in looking over the directions, the only thing that looks critical to me is that the bottom rail and sides be set back slightly from the front edge of the pan threshold, as shown in figure 3. As long as the center guide block can fasten securely I don't think the 1/4" you are short will matter one bit. The center block just may not have a reveal on the inside of the shower to match the reveal in front of the bottom track on the outside. That block may protrude beyond the threshold on the inside but I don't see that being a problem. I suppose it's possible that you could stub your ankle on it if you are careless. Which may be the whole reason why they call for 2 3/4".

I would probably just set that bottom rail in figure 3 behind where the rounded edge starts to drop off on bottom. That will drive the whole installation.

Old 01-06-21, 04:21 PM
D
Thank you

Thank you both ever so much, I appreciate your suggestion and will give it a try.

Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: