Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Convert wall cabinet into a sliding trash receptacle

Old 01-21-21, 09:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My wife and I installed a wall cabinet on a box to mimic a lower cabinet. We did this to fill the space that was available, and so that we could insert rails and make that cabinet the trash receptacle. Previously, the trash cans sat freely, but they were an eye sore.
The problem is that this cabinet is not very deep, unlike your traditional lowers. This means that the trash can sliding systems that I've found so far do not work for the shallow cabinet. The cabinet is only 10.5" deep, so the rails would have to be telescoping or very short. Does anyone have a solution to this? Where might I find a rail system that would suit our needs? Thank you in advance!

Old 01-21-21, 09:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 781 Votes on 718 Posts
Yes, you can get telescoping slides or you can simply have the bins not slide out as far. Another option is to do tip out garbage containers.

bulova voted this post useful.
Old 01-21-21, 12:57 PM
Received 79 Votes on 67 Posts
Again???

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/d...eceptacle.html

Since you found a trash can that fits, mount the bottom half of a french cleat (a strip of wood cut 45 degrees along one edge) or some hooks on the door and hang the lip of the trash can on that.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 01-21-21, 02:44 PM
T
2john, yes again. This time I have the cabinet built, mounted, and finally got the countertop installed. It was a long time coming due to COVID, but now I'm finally at the point where I can get to work on it. And my wife is pretty certain she'd prefer a sliding rail system instead of the tilt out option.

Old 01-21-21, 03:02 PM
Received 79 Votes on 67 Posts
Mount https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/accur...SABEgJXf_D_BwE flat on the bottom with a piece of wood or a short-sided tray on top.

If they don't work flat, mount some wood supports for the slides on the bottom of the cabinet and mount wood shelf or tray between them. Could also figure a way to mount them nearer the top with a cutout shelf to suspend the trash can in.

Old 01-22-21, 08:35 AM
T
YES! I think that should work. That's the right depth, so now I have to figure a way to mount them.

Old 01-22-21, 09:15 AM
D
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Can you modify the cabinet so that the short side becomes the opening that slides out?

Old 01-22-21, 04:50 PM
T
The cabinets are ready to assemble. They are sturdy now that they're together, but I wouldn't trust them as much once a hole is cut into the side. The original opening just makes more sense with our setup anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: