New countertops

Old 02-27-21, 06:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New countertops

So about a year ago I got new countertops and installed them myself, fyi I'm not much of a handyman, but I did surprisingly well. Now I'm not made of money so I had to go with the cheaper option which was laminate. I noticed though that on the front on the bottom that the particleboard is exposed and not treated with any kind of waterproofing, I mean there is a strip of something that I assume is waterproof but it stops about a forth of an inch before it gets to the edge where the laminate is. My question is what would be the best thing to use to waterproof that little bit because any kind of liquid that spills and goes over the edge is gonna hit that and it'll soak right up and ruin my new countertops? Any help or advice would be welcome.

Old 02-27-21, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
I don't know that anyone has ever worried about the bottom of the countertop edge, and in my 30 yrs of carpentry I have never seen any countertop failures as a result of that unsealed edge. Water can't sit and soak into a surface that is upside down. That being said, it won't hurt if you brush something on. Zinsser Seal coat, for example. Or any spray lacquer or polyurethane. You would need to mask with tape and paper if you spray. Might be a good idea if you brush too. You don't want anything getting on your cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: