Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

New bathroom addition. How much can I save if I do part of it myself?

Old 03-01-21, 01:42 PM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

For the most part, between my dad and me, we have always done our own remodels, small additions, etc. I want to add a bathroom that will involve adding on a little bit to the house (basically filling a a small U shaped nook that is about 8x8) to utilize for bathroom space. This is a little outside of our scope mostly because of the plumbing, some possibly weird roof lines, and just the whole permit process. I have never hired a contractor for anything but am going to need some help on this. Since I can do a lot myself though, I wanted to get your thoughts on how I can save some money during this process by doing some things myself. Will I save a decent amount if I do a lot of the interior finish work myself (drywall, painting, flooring, installing toilet and vanity, etc.)? I don't really know what the big expenses are for a contractor but it would seem like making all the trips back and forth to put on another coat of drywall mud or paint would add up quicker than doing something he can spend a whole day at like framing it in. In addition to that, I wouldn't need him to patch any holes or repair any walls in the adjacent rooms or wherever he has to access plumbing.

Old 03-01-21, 01:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Too many variables to answer with any specifics. Basically, you're proposing being your own general contractor and handling the hiring of whatever subs you choose. You will save money but it will cost you some time.

Old 03-01-21, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Just what do you intend to hire out? just the plumbing?
Many contractors don't have issues with the homeowner doing some of the work but they do not want to be inconvenienced by the homeowner's schedule!

Old 03-01-21, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Get a plumber in there first before you do anything. see if the plumbing can be run properly. Like proper pitch of pipe, venting and the like... Then go from there

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-01-21, 02:24 PM
V
Well, maybe more than what it sounded like. I need someone to draw it out and basically build the exterior. I figure once that is all done, I can finish the interior myself because I plan to remodel that adjacent bedroom that it will be connected to anyways. So I guess I was just asking if doing all that interior finish stuff myself will add up to a decent amount of savings. Sorry this is vague, I am just not used to dealing with a contractor!

Old 03-01-21, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
will involve adding on a little bit to the house
You need an architect.
Once drawn it will most likely need to be approved by your AHJ.

Old 03-01-21, 03:53 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
basically filling a a small U shaped nook that is about 8x8
So the only part that concerns me is this comment. I envision an area surrounded by three roof lines with an open area in the middle. Not seeing what your working with but to close off something like this could require changing roof lines/pitches, not something your average remodeler would most likely have experience with.

Any time your changing exterior/load bearing walls, you need some help, as noted and architect is your best bet!

Old 03-01-21, 04:08 PM
V
Absolutely. I think I confused everywhere here and I apologize. I know I need an architect first and need an actual builder to do all the structural stuff. I guess I was just asking if I can save some money by doing the interior finish work myself, or if most contractor's would rather do the whole thing themselves. And is it common that some contractor's do their own drawings, or are they usually separate? Do you typically get an architect first and then find a contractor, or are they both needed at the same time to figure it out?

Old 03-02-21, 02:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
While some contractors can/will draw up a set plans most rely on a stamped blueprint from an architect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: