bathtub to tub/shower remodel

Old 03-22-21, 04:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathtub to tub/shower remodel

I have a metal tub that needs replaced in a home built in 1959.
Plaster over gypsum walls, appears to be about 7/8" thick total. there is a name for this set up but cant remeber what it is, no metal or wood lath except for maybe in corners
Thinking about a 4 piece unit.
Would it be fine to remove plaster and drywall up to where the new wall panels attach to studs and not removing up to ceiling and replacing with cement board? going to be some heavy cement board at that thickness!
Also, cutting across wall is there a better way than another, thinking of using my dremel 3" saw with cement blade.The back short wall is on an exterior wall and I doubt there is any plastic vapor barrier since its a tub and built in 50's unsure if I need it?
Thanks

Last edited by rajung; 03-22-21 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-22-21, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,235 Upvotes on 1,994 Posts
First, you will need to upgrade your drain piping. A shower requires 2" while tubs only needed 1 1/2".

I think you will be better off taking the whole area down to bare studs. Shower wall panels have a flange at the top for attaching your new sheetrock or tile backer will go over the top of the flange to conceal it. If you leave your drywall at the top you will have to cut it larger to make room for the mounting flange. Then you have to fill in or conceal that gap somehow.

Old 03-22-21, 02:44 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for advice Pilot Dane.
I currently used my oscillating tool to make a cut just above 3 walls, above tub flange using diamond blade.
Actually ended up being 1/2 gypsum and 1/2 plaster with metal screen in corners and metal mesh on the end of tub wall that is on an outside facing wall.
Tub does need replaced regardless but ran into a problem already with old 50's sizing and current trend.
The cast iron tub sits in an alcove , one wall where the mixer valve and drain are is 30" wide, drain in tub is about 13 5/8" from side edge of tub.
And tub is 28 9/16 wide, or I should say deep.
Even a 30" tub with surround that I can find is 31 something.
My measurements for new tub and surround are from spec sheets online from the home centers so I am not sure if exact.So currently I am thinking 28" was the standard back in the day even though the 60" remained the same?
Starting to look like a walk in closet with floor urinal is an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: