Weird bathroom shower header?

Old 04-01-21, 07:52 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Weird bathroom shower header?

So we are remodeling our bathroom and I want to cut out this wall that is like 18 inches coming down from the ceiling. I tore all the tile and old backer board today. And on the inside of the wall coming down was this big 2x10? Header or something. A couple odd things, on one end, it ends at an interior wall that is a hallway. And it has no support underneath, itís just nailed to another board. And the other end, I canít tell where it ends and it looks like it continues on. Another odd thing is, it runs with the ceiling joists instead of perpendicular... can I cut it and support it on the side that continues on?

also, there is only a can light in there, and we would have to scrub the old drywall that was up there like once every 3 months for mold.. if we have to keep it, will that just keep happening? Will a better fan(which is located in the center of the bathroom) help? Or will it still stay trapped up there and we have the same problem?

thanks!!

Old 04-02-21, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
I would remove the plaster from above the header so you can get a better look and you'll be able to see for sure if the header is supporting anything. Probably not but with the age of your house you never know. Things weren't always done properly in the good old days.

"... if we have to keep it,..."
Keep what? The can light, the sheetrock??? Every bathroom needs good ventilation and with a shower great ventilation is even better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: