Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Moving countertop to all a new floor to be laid down. See pix

Old 04-07-21, 03:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I need to remove a 6' x 26" countertop with an attached undersink, out of the room so that I can have a new layment over the entire kitchen floor. I also have to move the base cabinet as well of course. But my question is if I detach the counter top from the base cabinet and the two of us move this countertop to another room (and safely rest it upon a wooden contraption I will build) might the countertop possibly break near the sink area when we pick it up at the long ends? It will still have the sink attached and still have the edgings attached.

Thanks!
Dave

Old 04-07-21, 03:51 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
So it doesnt have to be moved, you can tile/install flooring around the cabinets.

Moving is going to be a lot of work and depending how the cabinets were installed. Most likely at the tops of the cabinets into the studs which means it may be very difficult if not impossible to remove without taking the counter top off.
Backsplashes would also have to come off since the height would be different and the countertop is typ glued to the cabinets so that is another challenge!

Old 04-07-21, 04:45 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I agree. no reason to move the cabinets or the top. However, if one is installed (and I don't see one) removing the dishwasher and extending the new floor is a good idea.

Old 04-08-21, 04:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marq1 and Norm201,

Thanks guys, OK I will have them floor around the existing cabinets. By the way there is no dishwasher in the cabinets. Not moving the cabinets certainly will make the flooring job much easier. Thanks muchly for helping me out with this!

Best,
Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: