Tub/Shower: Install Over Subfloor or Over Tile?

Old 04-28-21, 05:00 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub/Shower: Install Over Subfloor or Over Tile?

I want to install a three-piece tub/shower as part of my bathroom reno. Should I install the tub/shower first, then install underlay/flooring up to the tub? Or should I install the flooring first, then install the tub/shower over that?

My subfloor is 3/4 inch plywood screwed to floor joists. No water damage to the plywood, as far as I can see.

Also, should I be adding anything to the top of the plywood to make the floor more firm? Seems firm to stand on now, but wondering if I should be putting down more plywood, concrete board, etc.

Thanks for you help.

Wayne

Old 04-28-21, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
I install tubs and showers onto the subfloor. Then the finished flooring butts up against the tub or shower.

As for putting down another layer of subflooring that depends on your floor and what finished flooring you are installing. If the floor is solid and doing something like sheet vinyl then you might be able to just go with the 3/4" you have now. If doing tile you will need a tile backer material like Hardie Backer or cement board.

Old 04-28-21, 05:43 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If doing tile you will need a tile backer material
I assume you mean ceramic tile, rather than vinyl tile or stuff like that?

And I assume that in all cases I'd be putting down an underlay material on top of the subfloor before putting down the finished flooring material.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: