Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

can you build out the rear wall of an alcove tub

Old 05-09-21, 06:53 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts

due to having the small space of a 28x 60 older tub in the middle of the bathroom wall, my contractor recommended swapping the tub position with the shower stall position because the shower is against a 45 inch wall. so this solves the issue of buying a standard tub and easily gets a 32 tub along the 45 wall. i can get my 42 wide stall and 60 wide tub in no problem. then he told me i can pick any faucets for the tub as long as they are from moen delta and kohler. so we started looking and saw that theres very little selection of wall mount tub faucts (about 10 total) but 1000s of deck mount. plus we wanted the shower spray in the tub as well on the deck.

ive been looking at pinterest pics but cannot find exactly what im thinking but basically using a standard 32 by 60 alcove tub, but instead of it being against the rear wall. id like him to build out a wall, ( i guess 4 to 6 inches thick to house the plumbing) in back of the tub on the long side so we can use deck mount faucets. i dont want a deck around the entire tub as i dont want to have to crawl over the deck. i hate when i have tubs like that in hotels.

Old 05-09-21, 09:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Anything "can" be done. It's up to you to determine the design aesthetic you're going for and how much the non-standard construction will cost. Also, if you are going to have a shower in the tub you need to be concerned with water on the back wall you want.

Old 05-09-21, 10:11 AM
L
i assumed the same backsplash on the wall would be on the deck. also from all i read deck mounts are easier to install anyway. so would be win win.

Old 05-09-21, 10:27 AM
L
as an aside is it a big deal to have a glass shower door be attached to a side panel of glass vs the studs in a wall? my guy indicated 'they' prefer it mounted to studs but when i look at pics online there are many doors 'hinged' to the adjoining piece of glass. gotta ask him about that when he comes back.

he has to build out a wall into the middle of the bathroom about 8 inches to make the new shower stall wall longer vs the 28 it would be now if nothing was done.

Old 05-09-21, 11:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have seen it done both ways. Obviously attaching to glass is more expensive since there is another piece of glass involved. And it's not as durable. It's glass... but it's quite durable enough. I've seen it used many times in hotels where it probably gets a lot of abuse.

Old 05-11-21, 06:53 AM
L
my contractor didnt understand my email about building out a wall so i sent him a pic and better description but meanwhile i just thought or something. only need the width of a 2x4 for faucets correct? so he can cut the 2x4s in the rear wall (add the extra support for the load bearing wall) frame it out and then id have a long niche along the back wall of the tub. of course some extra tiling but no biggie. the faucets could be recessed and deck mounted as we wanted along with the hidden spray hose, we would have a very long shelf to put soap and shampoo and you could easily reach the faucets since they could be in the middle of the tub long side then.

Old 05-11-21, 02:51 PM
L
so this is interesting. my general just emailed me and said he talked to the plumber and if i want a rear deck and rear deck faucets /sprayi need an access panel into the spare bedroom. it would be in the middle of the longest wall and since no one is in there i really dont care but unsure exactly what the panel would look like, could hide it with a bureau lol. doubt anyone is not going to buy my house because of one access panel in the middle of a bedroom wall that likely will be covered anyway.

also obviously im not a plumber but why would mounting wall mount faucets on a knee wall between a tub and shower NOT need an access panel but mounting deck mounted faucets would need one?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: