Quartz countertop peninsula substrate

Old 05-26-21, 12:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Quartz countertop peninsula substrate

My kitchen design calls for a 48” x24” peninsula that is for seating space/work space one end of the peninsula has a 15” cabinet under it and the other end will have legs. The countertop is 3cm quartz. Am I ok to use 23/32” plywood as my substrate from the top of the 15” cabinet to the legs? The span will be approximately 28”. If the plywood might sag, what other options are available to span the gap? I can’t use korbels on the cabinet end because there’s a door that will open under the peninsula (i.e. maximizing space in a tiny kitchen). Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Old 05-26-21, 03:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,235 Upvotes on 1,994 Posts
If you are concerned about the plywood being strong enough I would use a premium plywood or OSB like Advantech. Premium plywoods like used in marine and cabinetry have more layers and is stronger and stiffer and of course more expensive.

Old 05-26-21, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Not picturing exactly what you're doing, but often something like this comes in handy. You can cut a slot in the top of your cabinet so that the top of it sits flush with the rest of the cabinets.

Old 05-26-21, 04:33 PM
C
Thanks, Dane! I was definitely going to use premium plywood. Just needed the piece of mind.

Old 05-26-21, 04:43 PM
C
It’s definitely hard to picture, Sleeper. Hard to describe lol. I looked at those steel supports but they only allow you to cantilever 1/3 the length and I wouldn’t have anything to screw the legs into.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: