Shower framing question

Old 05-28-21, 01:14 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
Shower framing question

Need advice or suggestions.
I finally framed in the shower wall extension. Good and strong. Maybe a little bit of overkill.

Wall extension framing 151° angle

Now to tackle the other side.

My mock-up shows what it will look like. I haven’t removed all the wall board yet. Just the lower part to allow installation of shower pan.
I need to cut a wedge the full length of the stud to make for the corner transition. The picture shows the wedge on the outside of what will be backer board. That’s not correct. The framing needs to be behind all backer board.

mock up view from outside shower

Floor section

mock up view from inside shower

need to make this wedge to transition corner

The easy way is to install backer board first, then add the framing as shown, then add backer board to the framing. Is that a viable thing to do?

The alternative and perhaps the correct way are to add another stud to the outside wall. Remove the vapor barrier, the insulation, cut through ceiling to gain access to sill plate.

add stud to outside wall then attach shower stud

Then add the new shower wall stud with attached wedge to the new outside wall stud. And since this is the side that if a door was to be installed it will be hinged on this side. Needs to be real strong.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Old 05-28-21, 01:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Then add the new shower wall stud with attached wedge to the new outside wall stud.
That is probably what I would do!!

I would also make those wedges from couple layers of plywood, drive a nail or screw thru what is showing and they will split!

Old 05-28-21, 03:20 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
That wedge is cut in the wrong direction. If cut in the rip direction and if I can get it the full length, I should be OK. I may predrill also. But point taken.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: