Ceiling extension? Wife has crazy idea

Old 07-18-21, 11:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling extension? Wife has crazy idea

Ok. I am currently remodeling my kitchen. All the demo is done and new cabinets arrived for installation. The dining room has a vaulted ceiling and the next room is the dining room - open room format - and the dining room has a flat ceiling. When putting up the new cabinets, the new counter top will be passed the edge of the kitchen and stick into the dining room by 3/4 inch.
So the wife suggested to make the kitchen stick out 1 more inch by adding 1 inch drywall vertically on wall above the kitchen. Will add pictures.
Question is - does adding that drywall make sense/is it doable? Dont see how to screw in the corner bead into the drywall if we install this way. Ordering more cabinets is not an option. Thoughts?

Old 07-18-21, 01:44 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
IDK what your referring too, but as they say, happy wife, happy life!

Live long as prosper!

Old 07-18-21, 01:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
You talk about the counter top protruding but I'm not seeing an issue from your photos. Nobody will know that counter is protruding 3/4" unless they drop a plumb bob from the ceiling above.

Old 07-18-21, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
The countertop protruding is meaningless. If the upper cabinet sticks out beyond the ceiling corner, then yes, you could always add another layer or two of drywall to that entire wall. And instead of using a nail on corner bead, you could use a corner bead with paper tape that would get mudded on, rather than nailing it on.

Example

Old 07-18-21, 06:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Still a work in progress

The picture is the old countertop. New countertop will extend pass. The one cabinet in the picture by the door already goes passed the kitchen/dining room break by a 1/4 inch without the crown molding. If i move it closer to the window it becomes off center.
if i do add the drywall to the separation wall my concern is the new ceiling in the kitchen and getting it to blend when doing that corner will be such a huge pain if not impossible to get it to look right.

Old 07-18-21, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
I would mask off the ceiling and flat tape the wall-ceiling joint with durabond and fibafuse. That way you don't get into the texture. The tape butts up to the ceiling, it is not folded onto the ceiling. Its a technique you can use when you simply cannot get into the ceiling texture.

Once the drywall is up, you do the best job you can of masking a straight line on the ceiling that is about 3/16" away from the wall, using 2" painters tape. That keeps the ceiling clean as you flat tape the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: