Does this look like asbestos

Old 06-09-22, 12:03 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does this look like asbestos

I live in a place that was built in 1983 and don’t know much about drywall and construction. I’m hoping I can find someone that’s familiar with asbestos. The tile where the soap goes fell of and the drywall has brown fibers in a particular place that I took a pic of and will present. Does this look like it can be asbestos or am I overreacting. Any help would be appreciated

Those dark brown fibers got my attention

Old 06-09-22, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Those dark fibers are mildew. Judging by the amount of water damage a larger area of tile should be removed. It looks like they used sheetrock in a shower. Tile and grout is not waterproof. Water will seep through the grout joints and soak whatever is behind. I would consider redoing the entire surround.

Old 06-09-22, 06:49 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Drywall and joint compound manufactured before the early 80's may contain asbestos. Based on the age of your home my guess would be that your drywall does not contain asbestos. The best way to tell is to have a sample tested. Simple precautions can be taken during removal.

In any case based on your photos the entire surround should be removed along with the drywall. The problem seen in your photo is only going to get worse. Tile should be reinstalled over cement board and a vapor barrier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: