Epoxy grout mistake

Old 06-27-22, 05:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Epoxy grout mistake

Epoxy grout was used to install our travertine backsplash which turned it brown,
outside of removing the entire backsplash, which I do NOT want to tackle, is there a paint, or wash or anything I can use to lighten it? My concern is the product I use, will it adhere to the tile? Thank you so much!

Old 06-27-22, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Why did it turn brown ?
Was it a light colored tile and the grout was visible thru the tile ?

Painting tile would be completely opposite of why it was used.
I'm pretty sure you would not be happy with painting the tile.

Old 06-28-22, 02:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
which turned it brown,
Turned the tile brown or the grout?

Old 06-28-22, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
They make stains you can use to change the grout color [works well] and while there are tile paints they don't wear all that great.
A pic or two might help us better understand the situation.

Old 06-28-22, 04:10 AM
S
Here are a few pics.

Thanks for all the help. I hope I answered all your questions. The travertine "had" various shades of cream, gray and tan before it was installed.
The grout is gray. We installed under cabinet lights, which helped it not seem so dark. It isn't the grout color that bothers me, it is the color of the travertine. I am certainly willing to try anything to lighten it, or cover it up. I just don't want to tear up my kitchen removing it. I attached a pic.

This side of the kitchen backsplash is a little better than the rest, but most of it looks like the lower half of this pic.

Not sure why it turned brown, the grout is gray.

Old 06-28-22, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Your problem is not related to the grout. You simply don't like the backsplash. If you don't like the look now you'll like it even less if you try a paint on fix. I think you either learn to live with what you have or consider a different backsplash material.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-28-22, 04:38 PM
S
Pilot Dane, I was not asking about the grout, I was asking about the possibly lightening the color of the tile. Travertine, I know is porous and I believe the installer did not know how porous this was. I have lived with this for 6 years and I am not nor I will be used to it. I just thought perhaps your forum could give me some ideas. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-28-22, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
They make stains that go over travertine tile.
The problem is with different colored tiles the results are unpredictable.

You'd have to try a little bit of stain in an out of the way area in case you didn't like it.
A little info on staining.

Old 06-29-22, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Especially with an epoxy grout staining will be hit or miss. The epoxy will seal all or part of the tile's surface making a stain hit or miss depending on how well the epoxy sealed the tile. I might have considered staining with a traditional grout but not when an epoxy grout was used.

"...willing to try anything to lighten it, or cover it up."
That is the killer. It is difficult for a stain to lighten something. Darken is much more easy. You could try some things but I would get some travertine & epoxy grout and a scrap of plywood or Hardie Backer and make a sample section to test before doing it on the actual backsplash. I think the most you can hope for is a pickled look with a painting technique but it would also get the grout so you'd really have to see if you like the look. You could then individually paint the grout lines or grind out the grout and re-grout with a different color. With the amount of labor needed and the unpredictable results, live with it or replace it are still probably the top two options with trying to lighten the stone being a very distant third place.

Old 07-04-22, 03:50 AM
S
Thanks so much, you have given me something to think about. I will look into staining, but from what you say this might not get the results I am looking for, but it is a possibility. I would definitely see what it looks like before using it on the entire project. I have a lot of tile. I appreciate all your suggestions and comments. Hope you and your family have a safe and happy 4th.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: